how to paint a composite door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we bought our house it had new windows and a green composite door

never been a fan of the green and after painting the house want to paint the door black and replace brass furniture with silver

now how do i go about painting the door and what are the best products/where can i get them

thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Wiyh a composite door its is basically plastic so a gentle rub down with some wet'n'dry or if its the wood grain finish type use wire wool to get rid of the shine and provide a key. Thin the gloss down that your going to use and give it two coats. The first coat might not cover 100% hence the need for the second coat.

Generally painting plastic can cause it to chip but with these types of doors i have never had that problem. If its gloss on gloss several times it has more chance of chipping but in this case it shouldnt happen.

Sponsored Links
Fair enuff Robbie- I have never tried personally.

Cheers

I haven't done a composite door, but for painting plastic I find a single generous flowing coat of non-drip gloss gives a nice finish

it is safer to take a door off to paint it to avoid runs, if you can

do the edges and fancy bits first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back