How to prepare planed wood for exterior painting ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

My fence (above), built in 1966, died finally, the timber is squidgy, sad days.:(

The posts are still very solid so I'll just be replacing the planks. Although its a 60's/70's look, that matches the house, and street, so i want to recreate it the same.

The planks are 25*150 planed, and 4.82 metres long, there are 9 of them. My local builders merchants dont sell planed wood treated so i'll have to treat it myself.

My question is how best to treat the planed timber before painting it (white) , and how many layers of what paint for a durable gloss finish ?

My thanks as always to this most helpful of forums.:)

Sponsored Links
I'd put my money into Bedec barn paint, though becuase it is water based it shouldn't be used on tanalised timber that is fresh from the merchants, if that's what you choose. Bedec suggest Stain Block for lighter colours though to hide the knots. I think it can be painted on just the knots, though might look uneven if you did that.

Nozzle

The posts are still very solid

Maybe.

But if they are wooden posts in contact with the ground, poke the posts in several places, two to six inches above ground level, with a small screwdriver.

This is the level where the dampness of the ground, and the oxygen in the air, merge and give the ideal conditions for rot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back