How to remove filler from UPVC window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm decorating my son's bedroom and the windows have moved slightly so that there are gaps between the filler used between the upvc window frames and the walls. I've removed as much of this filler as I can by scraping it off the window frames but I can't seem to get the last traces off without risking too much damage to the upvc. The filler is white and really shows up on the brown frames.

The filler isn't a silicone one and I think it's one of those flexible ones. Is there anything I can use to remove it with? If the worst comes to the worst, I'll refill to the edge of the old filler marks, but I'd prefer to fill onto a clean frame.

Thanks,

Teresa

Sponsored Links
Try White Spirit. Won't hurt the frame.

I've tried White Spirit but with no success. I think I'm just going to fill as best as I can and try to hide any filler that is visible by colouring it.

Sponsored Links
I had a smilar prob with kitchen upvc frames. not easy at all to get off, i used a stanley blade scraper. It can scratch the frame, but generally i found if I used it carefully it took the sealer off and didn't do too much harm. depends if you want to risk a few scratches.

I had a smilar prob with kitchen upvc frames. not easy at all to get off, i used a stanley blade scraper. It can scratch the frame, but generally i found if I used it carefully it took the sealer off and didn't do too much harm. depends if you want to risk a few scratches.

I wouldn't use a Stanley blade on the frames the OP has, if they are brown they are woodgrain effect. This is just a foil stuck to the frame, a Stanley blade would make light work of removing this as well as the sealant :eek:

yea, not the best option, my frames were white with a good thick top layer.. possibly a daft suggestion!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back