How to render a garden wall?

L

longdogs

Hi all

A customer has asked me to render his garden wall which is about 18 inches high and 10 feet long and made of brick. It has been previously rendered but has since cracked and chunks have fallen off.

Although I am adept at most property maintenance (self employed) I have never tackled rendering before and do not know where to start basically. I have done some repair plastering which was ok.

So, any advice would be welcome such as preparation, materials, technique etc.

Thanks v much

Sponsored Links
sub the work out to a proper spread like most builders would because they don't know how to is my advice. you have admitted you are clueless it could all end up in tears otherwise

I'm with steve on this, esp as you will be working to earn money, and not lose it on a slow DIY learning curve, and call-backs.

If you dont mind, let me ask you a question? "Why do you think the wall has failed? Are you pretty certain?"

Good luck if you do go ahead, there's masses of info about this on here - an extensive thread was posted just recently.

I'm with steve on this, esp as you will be working to earn money, and not lose it on a slow DIY learning curve, and call-backs.

If you dont mind, let me ask you a question? "Why do you think the wall has failed? Are you pretty certain?"

Good luck if you do go ahead, there's masses of info about this on here - an extensive thread was posted just recently.

Don't really know why it failed. I'm guessing it's just because it's old.I don't think the bricks are 'live'.

I was not really sure whether to take it on or not. I normally tackle most things with a good result but must admit that plastering is not my forte.
I do like to learn how to do things but might practice on my own wall first.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Sponsored Links
squeaky,

sounds like a good pass.

FWIW: not knowing the cause of a background failure can lead to wasted effort and mats.
You could have started one job, and found that you had to re-build the wall with new brick - and then found that there was no foundation.

I dont know about learning curve but you would have certainly learned to curse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back