How to repair the black strip on top of the ground floor windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have attached pictures of the area I mean. There is a black strip on top of the ground floor windows which is worn very badly. Does this need replacing or should I paint it with Bitumen style paint?

Is this like a black felt band?
IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG
IMG_1003.JPG

Sponsored Links
It looks like lead flashing to me (or possibly a lead type flashing tape).
If it's lead and not leaking then there is no need to replace it - you can carefully re-dress the lead (bend into shape) to some extent but, if it's old, doing so could cause it to split. It looks like it has already been painted with a bitumen type paint, which is ok to use again but may need repainting every few years to keep it looking neat. You could use something like Bedec Multi-Surface Paint on it instead, which is good for this type of thing and pretty cheap too. (It was available from Toolstation the last time I looked.)
You can use the same paint for flashing tape but that is far easier and cheaper to replace than real lead so, if this is what you have, I would opt to replace it. At a pinch, you could even apply new flashing tape directly over lead to tidy it up a bit.
Whatever you do, make sure you remove as much of the flaking paint as possible first.

http://www.toolstation.com/search?searchstr=bedec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back