how to seal a damp wood floor before vinyl tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im trying to sort out my elderley fathers bathroom. He had a nasty rubber backed carpet down for years, Ive pulled it up and dumped it, but there are areas of the wood floor that are damp. Is there something i can use to seal the damp wood before laying vinyl tiles? I know we should leave it to dry out but we need the floor fixed before he gets out of hospital. I know it sounds terrible but it doesnt need to last for years - hes terminally ill and will not be in the house for years. That does sound awful - but im just being realistic.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
its a difficult one. no sealer will help. you could try a dehumidifier in the room for a good few hours??

If the floor is damp you’ve got to find out why & cure that first. No adhesive I know, be it tile, carpet or vinyl floor covering will stick to a damp floor. I had a boat for many years & used to loose lay something like this in the outside cockpit area which was open to the elements with the hood down; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-METRE-R...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item20bdbf7a0f It’s reasonably hard wearing but as cheap as chips & you could take it up & dry it out but it only lasted a couple of seasons at most before it needed replacing.

Sheet vinyl & nail or staple gun it around the edges but it won’t allow any dampness to escape & it could get a little smelly quiet quickly. Carpet tiles may be another alternative; many, many years ago I seem to remember when laying them in my first house that you actually had to water them after you had laid them but can’t remember what they were.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I seem to remember when laying them in my first house that you actually had to water them after you had laid them but can’t remember what they were.

Bet they were 'turf'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back