How to sell some old RSJs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Builder is stripping out my house including some RSJs as part of our rebuild / renovation project.
Will I get much money for selling these beams as scrap? I have a couple or 3, maybe about 5-6m in length.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry. The builder will take them.

Sponsored Links
It usually states in the contract that the contractor will remove all rubble and materials from site, so they are his RSJs - not yours.

If you can transport them a scrap yard will take them for reasonable money but if you have to get somebody pick them up the price nosedives. Scrap yards will usually give you the number of somebody that will collect.

It usually states in the contract that the contractor will remove all rubble and materials from site, so they are his RSJs - not yours.

Really??? If I had a builder in MY property, if I want something of mine left, I'd bloody well demand it be left as its my property not theirs, unless they quoted a reduction for any monies received for selling on removed items.

I asked my roofer to keep all scrap lead flashings for me to take to weigh in. He said all weighed in materials are the property of the owner and he only takes lead etc if the owner wants him to. Honest roofer!

Really??? If I had a builder in MY property, if I want something of mine left, I'd bloody well demand it be left as its my property not theirs, unless they quoted a reduction for any monies received for selling on removed items.

And if the builder had a contract saying they could remove all materials would you pay them extra to leave the scrap. They may have worked the scrap value into their price to you.

Codswallop - they are never going to work the scrap price in - its a perk not a bargaining object.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back