How to set an automatic bypass valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester 40CDi Classic Regular boiler. The valve ranges from 0.1-0.5 bar. From various things I've seen, you need the pump head and boiler minimum flow rate to calculate this.

The pump is adjustable between 0m and 6m head, but it's always been set on 5m. Not sure if this is the correct setting... any advice?

I spoke to Worcester who said the minimum flow rate of the boiler was 1.5l/min.

What should the bypass be set to?

Sponsored Links
You seem to be confusing CH and DHW.

The auto bypass valve is only needed if you have TRVs.

Makes me wonder why you suddenly want to fit one.

Any combi needs the pump set on maximum, I am assuming your's is a combi !

Typically set the auto bypass to 0.2 bar. There are many web sites suggesting how to set them more closely to suit any particular system where the objective is to set them to just start flowing when 2/3 of the TRVs are off.

Tony

The auto bypass valve is only needed if you have TRVs.

I have 3 zone valves which are all closed when the heating and hot water turn off.

Makes me wonder why you suddenly want to fit one.

The boiler does pump overrun when there is no more call for heat. This process requires the bypass such that there is still water moving around.

Any combi needs the pump set on maximum, I am assuming your's is a combi !

It's not a combi. The pump is external to the boiler and is adjustable from 0-6m head.

Typically set the auto bypass to 0.2 bar. There are many web sites suggesting how to set them more closely to suit any particular system where the objective is to set them to just start flowing when 2/3 of the TRVs are off.

I'll try this value, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back