How to sharpen a hedge trimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Flymo electrich hedge trimmer and it no longer cuts soft growth cleanly. I have asked a couple of places to sharpen it but the cost they charge makes it cheaper to buy a new one, which I am reluctant to do.

anyone ever successfully sharpened a set? Is a dremmel and a small grinding attachment any good? How do the two sets of blades come apart? There are two bolts along the centre but both blads disappear into the body....

Sponsored Links
WabbittPoo...gotta love that name. :D I work with hedge trimmers most days (landscape gardener). We don't take the blade section apart to sharpen the trimmers. I just use a small flat file for the blades and then a round to get into the corners. I would advise against using the dremmel as some of the metals used on these trimmers is quite soft and grinds down pretty quick. It's back to the old 'Maintainance saves you time and money rule'. If you get them sharp again just check after each time you use the machine and if one or two are dull, give them a touch up... Kev ...

oops - too late. I tried the dremmel. its better tho not sharp enough to handle soft growth. I have now bought a new set of cordless ones for SWMBO to use - safer and easier for her. Will look afeter these! Thanks for the tip though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back