How to Sketch

Well... I'd just use AutoCAD as I've been using it for approx. 11 years :p
Hi DevilDamo, is AutoCAD difficult to use? Are you an architect? I haven't been on here awhile as I've been getting on with the refurbishment but hope to soon begin compiling all that I need for a planning application.
If you have any tips I would be most appreciative, especially anything that might simplify the procedure.

Hi Nige F, do you mean the freehold? If so, I share it with my sister who lives in the flat above me.

Hi emjay13 - I believe a 3D image could be helpful for a planning application, to show projection perhaps. Let's hope I get to grips with it if need be : ) !

Best regards
Cath120

Sponsored Links
Hi cath120, Deviledeggs is a technician like myself, AutoCAD is not forgiving to learn at the beginning to say the least and unless your Architect or someone else you know can give you a hooky copy how are you gonna use it anyway?

You can do 2D drawings in Sketchup anyway you just select the 2D view and make sure perspective is turned off and bobs your uncle! Admittedly printing to scale will be a little trial and error but that's the only downside to it I can see. It is far more user friendly and easy to use than AutoCAD.

You could download DoubleCAD XT v2, that's free and is quite similar to AutoCAD but again its not forgiving in the beginning. They allow a free version as they are trying to compete with AutoCAD and need to get it popular within the industry. http://www.doublecad.com/Download/tabid/1128/Default.aspx

Sponsored Links
Hi DevilDamo, is AutoCAD difficult to use?

I have Quickcad and is a dummies version afaik. It was £60 and money well spent.

Revit is far superior to AutoCAD however at £6800 it may be a little pricey! I'm not aware of there being any way to get a hooky copy, you can download the full blown version as a 30 day trial for free (if your machine will run it). But once it expires you'll not be able to save or print. How easy you would find it to knock up some plans or whatever (assuming that's what you wanted it for) and whether 30 days was long enough is another thing given you'd never be able to make any changes after the trial expired.

Theoretically some seem to have been able to remove all trace of it from their machines following the expiry and then downloaded the trial again but some have not been successful with this approach.

Better off going for one of the other (free) suggestions in this thread.

Sponsored Links
Back