How to stop leaking capped pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

My problem is i have a 5inlet soil inspection chamber on my patio there are two soil pipes from the house going into the chamber & the one outlet that takes the waste to my biotank(fancy septic tank).

Problem is that the two spare inlets have been capped off but ground water is getting through. Obviously this is bad because the bio tank is only meant to take household waste water not ground water.

Does anybody know what i could use to seal these caps properly. The chamber has been set in the ground and there is no way to remove caps or anything else.

I was thinking of waiting for the weather to dry out and cover the caps with mastic & aqua seal, to stop the water seeping through.

Thanks in advance

Darren.

Sponsored Links
The blanks should not leak. They should neither admit water nor allow water out.

Either the chamber has been installed with the rubbers missing or the the inlets have distorted (unlikely).

You could try self amalgamating tape, its only 19mm wide but you overlap it 50% as you wrap it round pipes or hoses etc and it bonds to itself to create a waterproof seal. Its used in the automotive trade and the aerial industry. Just a thought.

The blanks should not leak. They should neither admit water nor allow water out.

Either the chamber has been installed with the rubbers missing or the the inlets have distorted (unlikely).
ingress and egress ;) most likely done by an Irish labourer ...they don`t use rubbers :eek:

Sponsored Links
Oh Nige, i must digress!

'Tis only the Catholic navvies that abstain from the blaspheme of contraception.

Thanks for all the replies so far

Yes graham that chamber is like the one i have.

That plug looks like it could work.
What is the exact name of that plug. and where would i be able to purchase one.

It is a 4" drain plug, bung or stopper. It works by compressing a rubber disc that as it flattens under screw thread pressure it seals up the pipe.

The centre is hollow so that once you unscrew the cap it allows the build-up of non-solid waste to dispense through the bung.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back