How to temporarily cover toxic dried damp wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a dampness appear in a corner of one of my rooms. I wasn't using the room so its been months now and it has become dry. However the damage is visible and it is still gassing off toxins.

Repair guy came and put sealant over it however I notice little black dots are still in some places so, in addition to the toxins from the sealent, potentially some of the original toxins are gassing off through these holes. Obviously I need to get the repair guy to come and finish the job properly. Is there anything small I can put on the holes to prevent anything from coming out of the small black holes?
1) Would duct tape be a good idea?

I am also sensitive to chemicals so the sealant is giving me problems. Is there anything I can cover the affected section of the wall with so that no sealent or othe toxins e.g. mould comes through. I suppose if I cover everything with duct tape that would work however too much duct tape over a large area will affect me.

I was thinking cover it with cardboard, newspaper etc and just use celotape to seal the sides down. However I'm not sure if these papers will allow toxins through them?
Can you suggest any appropriate paper/material that would work. I react to new pvc and plastic so bin liner may not be great idea however it'd probably be ok after a few days. Please can you list some 'cheap' things to cover the area 'temporarily'. Include plastics if you must but I hope to hear some better alternatives.

thanks

Sponsored Links
A quick google of activated charcoal cloth brought up this link
http://www.chemvironcarbon.com/en/activated-carbon-cloth
Not sure if they sell to the public directly but something like that would do the trick. Probably going to be expensive but you could also look for NBC suits on ebay to cannibalise as that contains said cloth
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-A...ctables_Militaria_LE&var=&hash=item23439c59cc
At a push you could even pin a load of odour eater shoe inserts to a sheet and hang over the area.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back