How to use bb drawer runners on a wide drawer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some searching I found a reputable manufacterer's sheet on their drawer runners in which it stated the width of the drawer should not be longer than the closed drawer runner length. This would mean that wide drawers as seen in common chest of drawers are a no no. I guess the drawer may wobble on movement much like those keyboard slide out drawers that are on the market.

I was wondering what the effect of a 3rd runner mounted horizontally on the underside of the drawer in the centre would be? Would it force the drawer to only go in and out without any twisting?

Has anyone had experience of this issue?

Sponsored Links
wont work

you need to manoover the drawer to insert onto the runners

i use 2x1" as drawer runners say you drawer sides are 180mm high 2 battons 185mm apart with 2 blocks off 3mmply underneath to act as stops on the drawer rails at the front [also 2x1"]

Thanks for the reply ba, unfortunatly I think you are writing about a different situation.

I refered to bb drawer runners like these:
IMAG018.JPG

And using a 3rd one rotated 90degrees on the bottom of the drawer.

You seem to be refering to standard wood runners.

Sponsored Links
I can't see it being a problem having a third one fixed to the base, as they can be used horizontally, would just need to ensure your gaps are right so all three are taking equal weight and would need a thick draw bottom to screw to.

The main problem with wide draws is people pulling them from one side causing raking.

Jason

I can't see it being a problem having a third one fixed to the base, as they can be used horizontally, would just need to ensure your gaps are right so all three are taking equal weight and would need a thick draw bottom to screw to.

The main problem with wide draws is people pulling them from one side causing raking.

Jason

Thanks for that reply jb, but I'm afraid you are bit off track.

This proposed design is intended to overcome the issue which you refer to as raking.

On drawers with wooden runners, the raking jams the drawer but this prevents excessive sideways expansive forces breaking the chest apart.

With wide drawers with bb runners, the drawer will not jam, but may damage the chest.

The purpose of the 3rd runner is not to take any weight in the vertical direction but to resist the raking in the horezontal direction.

Unless a forumite has used my proposed method, it looks like I will have to get hold of some 2nd hand bb runners and make up a test rig to see if it works or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back