How to wire a TV / FM / Satellite Triplexer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new build property (7 years old) and there is a Triplexer face plate on the wall. It’s actually this one:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-tv-fm-...tracking url&gclid=CP3Sju37l7YCFYbHtAodKR0Akw

I tried plugging in the TV but there wasn’t any reception and everything was loose inside. I decided to take the Triplexer plate off the wall only to find out that nothing was connected inside!

I have 3 black cables + 2x white telephone cables sitting inside the back box which I guess are for the TV, FM, Satellite & the slave telephone socket. I can wire the telephone ok but there is only one hole for one of those black cables.

See photo below:
IMAG1481_zpsac4840ec.jpg

I guess I only need the TV port to work but when I tried to push the TV wire into that hole it wouldn’t go in at all.

Are these easy to fit or do you need a special tool!?

Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't work the way you think. You wouldn't normally need three wires for a triplexer.

The idea with this type of plate is that just one aerial cable carries TV+FM/DAB+Satellite. Some other box - usually in the loft - is responsible for combining the signals from the aerials & dish. This is called multiplexing. Then a single wire carries all three. The wall plate filters them back out to separate signals again.

If you have three wires then either the socket point has been wired for one signal down (from the loft box) + one spare (a backup) + a return feed going to the loft for sending up the signal from a Sky box to other rooms in the house. Either that, or the house owner just flooded the place with coax with no real plan about what they were doing :LOL:

Where you should start is at the loft or wherever all the aerial cables come in the house. Check that there's something there such as a distribution amp to deal with the signals first.
Loftbox%20diagram%20500x647.gif

Then you need to find out which of the three cables is connected to that box.

Once you know that you're dealing with then wiring the socket is easy. What you want is a little needle of the copper core poking out from the white inner insulation. Then the copper braiding folded back over the outer jacket.
plate_inset.jpg

This image is from Satcure's website. It's a good technical resource. The little screw clamps the copper core.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve been in the loft already and those 3 black cables and just lying on the loft insulation without connectors. One of those cables was labelled TV so I know which cable I need now at both ends. No loft box or anything in the loft apart from an aerial. I have added a connector to the TV cable in the loft and connected it to the aerial.

Now I just need to connect the TV cable to the triplexer. My triplexer doesn’t seem to have a small screw that clamps the copper core, it seems you just push it in the small hole and then clamp it down using the cable clamp.

I will try to push the TV copper core cable into that hole again, maybe it needs a little flathead screw driver to open the hole.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back