how to wire an rj45 socket back to my telephone master?

pod

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Apologies as I think this may have been covered in other threads which I found, but they confused me so I'd like to ask again:-

I have an RJ45 socket wired with cat5 like this:-
1 white/orange
2 orange
3 white/green
4 blue
5 white/blue
6 green
7 white/brown
8 brown

I'm thinking of using it as a phone socket so which of these 8 wires would I put where when I run them back to my telephnoe master socket? I notice that my BT telephone master has six IDC terminals numbered 1-6 and my Virgin telephone master has four numbered 2-5. Do these numberes correspond directly to the RJ45 wiring? I've read somewhere that only 4 wires are needed anyway.

Also, my plan was to use an adapter plugged into the RJ45 socket so that I can plug a BT phone in. I notice that there are at least 3 types of adapter available at one major retailer:-

UN27E - full master w/ line protection,
UN28F PABX master w/o line protection,
UN28G PABX slave

Does anyone know which would be appropriate please?

I hope that's enough info and that it makes sense.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
OK, I think I get how that would work, thanks, but I'd still prefer to wire it neatly into the back of the Telephone master socket if possibe.

If using a the UN27E or UN28F master type RJ45-BT adaptor only two wires are needed as follows...

RJ45 4 blue -> BT connector 2
RJ45 5 white/blue -> BT connector 5

If using a secondary type UN28G adaptor then you will need to connect in addition.

RJ45 2 orange -> BT Connector 3

The wiring standard also includes the following wire but it is actually not used in a domestic telephone system....

RJ45 1 white/orange -> BT Connector 4

BT connectors 1 & 6 are not used at all so you don't need to worry about them.

I would suggest that you use the master type without protection as the NTE5 master socket already has the spark gap type surge arrestor that is in the protected type.

Sponsored Links
"going digital " , it was the first site that came up in Google for "BT to RJ45. What makes you think the site has anthing to do with me? Whatever chip you have on your shoulder get over it! Look at some other threads & you will see i have gone into great detail on problems.

& in the time it took to reply you edit your post!

Virtually every post I see from you on this site has a link back to this site that you claim to have no connection to. I'm sorry if you really don't have anything to do with it but it does look very suspicious. And the chip I have is that I get fed up with companies trying to sell stuff in community forums like this one.

It's an industry i work in & have encountered them, the site also ranks very well in Google hence when i use the search term for problems like this they come up top? Why this causes you so much grief is beyond me, i don't see you jumping on others who link to the same companies for problems they are solving??

Sorry but I remain unconvinced, it happens that you are the only one I have spotted as obvious so far but I would jump on any others if I see them. You also happen to have jumped on me first just because I happened to say something you didn't like. Perhaps if your responses to me hadn't been so aggressive I might have given you the benefit of the doubt.

It is quite simple, if you have nothing to do with this site then start linking to sites with the information that are not also conveniently selling the stuff you link to.

For example these sites offer free advice ...

An excellent guide to UK telephone wiring...
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

A fully comprehensive guide to wiring for ADSL.
http://www.readman.dsl.pipex.com/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm

Another useful site for ADSL info
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

Maybe you should ask to become a moderator if it bothers you that much! Forums like these are about sharing info/posting links that could solve problems, despite what you claim i've been a member on here for YEARS(not 12 days like youself) and have never had issues like this before.

Use this:

First column is the RJ45, the 6th column is your BT secondary.

1zpt9ag.png

If using a the UN27E or UN28F master type RJ45-BT adaptor only two wires are needed as follows...

RJ45 4 blue -> BT connector 2
RJ45 5 white/blue -> BT connector 5

If using a secondary type UN28G adaptor then you will need to connect in addition.

RJ45 2 orange -> BT Connector 3

The wiring standard also includes the following wire but it is actually not used in a domestic telephone system....

RJ45 1 white/orange -> BT Connector 4

BT connectors 1 & 6 are not used at all so you don't need to worry about them.

I would suggest that you use the master type without protection as the NTE5 master socket already has the spark gap type surge arrestor that is in the protected type.

Great. That's the kind of info I was looking for, thanks.

However i notice that your advice doesn't quite match Lectrician's table, I think.

You say:-
RJ45 to BT
4 to 2
5 to 5
2 to 3
1 to 4

and the table says:-
4 to 5(2)
5 to 2(5)
2 to 3(4)
1 to 4(3)

so the bracketed numbers match on two wires and the non brackets match on the other two. If there are only two critical wires then I'm sure I'd be able to work it out though.

Thanks all.

Terminate the blue pair on the RJ45 to 5 & 2 on your BT master socket, at the other end use a PABX master converter. If you want to be able to patch the BT line to more than one extension then the kits i linked to are the easiest way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back