How would you finish this wall?

How close to Dingwall/Garve are you? I used to work for a contractor that might be able to help find some material.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the offer but it's probably impracticable. I'm down Strathspey, our local quarry is 2.2 miles from the house so if the worst comes to the worst I'll take the trailer there and pay for what I need to finish it. I registered on the Inverness Freecycle group too- got an offer of some from a nice bloke in the Black Isle but again it's a bit far, and the steep climb out of the sneck would probably fry the clutch, plus diesel costs and time better off going local.
Local quarry wants £50 a tonne delivered so will enquire how much it is if I pick it up(heard it's a LOT less). Can sort through what they have and pile it up, they weigh it on the weighing digger/jcb, pay for it and then remove it as I want. Will be wanting some more for feature terraces/herb spiral etc in future, might be the easiest way....
I'm gonna get a massive pile before the final push to get this bit done though...
We've another massive quarry near us and it's a pity it's only open when new bits of the A9 get built, the stone in it is superb grey schist(easy to get in and have a sniff around.....!)

£50,- a tonne for "waste" sounds rather steep!
Back on the west coast we pay £10,- a tonne delivered for crushed rock, think of the work that goes into that!

And £16,- a tonne delivered for aggregate.

Round stones are useless for road building as they don't "lock" properly.

Get SEPA to look the other way and I'm sure you can find a riverbed, the ground around Tomintoul used to be full of that type of stone, just a matter of finding someone who is digging a hole and wants shot of the stuff.

Aye- that's why I thought it was steep as hell- my neighbour had some crushed pink granite delivered by them when we moved in and for 8T delivered he was charged £17 a tonne!
The bloke said it was because it was schist blasted out from the Monad"liath"(grey) rather than the pink which is more predominant than the pink of the Cairngorms(Monad "Ruadh"-think this translates to red, certainly some awesome Mars like landscape on a setting sun looking over from the grey side!))
Anyway, he said the high costs were due to transporting it out etc...sounded like BS so I walked away....! I Was expecting no more than £20 a tonne..!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back