Howdens Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking about buying a Howdens kitchen through someone I know who has a trade account with them. The people who are going to buy it for me wouldn't be able to fit it themselves because of a decreased workforce and if I did want to get it fitted throught them they would subby it out to someone to do it.
I'm a bit reluctant do this so I'm thinking of giving it a bash myself to keep cost down.
I've not done anything on this scale before but I'm fairly good at general DIY around the house.
Are they difficult to fit? Do you think I'd be OK to do it? Am I biting off more than I can chew?
The new kitchen isn't going to be too different to what is already up at the moment in terms of where new cupboards and worktops are going.
Isn't it just a case of taking old ones down and putting new ones up and making sure that they are all level and securely fixed?
I'll get a joiner to put the new worktops on as I have already been advised that this a major part of the process.
Sorry to bang on about so much but any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'd go for it.

I've recently ripped out an old kitchen, laid new floor and fitted base and wall units myself and I don't consider myself as a natural or particularly skilled DIY'er. So it probably took me 2-3 times as long but I like to do my research, get all the materials I need, follow advice and get it right.

The obvious downside to it taking longer was the disruption to cooking, washing etc but that was worked around.

I fitted the worktop too but I don't blame you getting a professional to do that.

I've heard Howdens make good kitchens, do the units come pre-assembled like Screwfix ones? If they do that makes it even easier. I had to build our units from flat pack which obviously adds time.

Good luck, post some photos up along the way.

Thanks for the reply JONXLR8, I think I probably will give a go myself providing the price for from Howdens is OK, I suppose advice is never far away if I need it!!

I'm fairly sure that the units come pre-assembled from Howdens so as you say this will cut the time down quite a lot.

I'll post some pics, before, during and after if I go ahead.

Should have the price in the next few days.

Thanks again for the reply.

Howdens units are preassembled.
I found getting the biggest spirit level you can get you hands on is good so you can check levels from base units if they span a corner or you have a long run of straights as they can run off abit (especially in old wonky houses like mine!)
I bottled the worktop and got help with it and pleased I did routers and jigs aren't really my bag!
:D

Sponsored Links
Probably a bit late with this post, but i'll give my tu'peneth worth anyway.

Howdens usually work on this basis!!
They have a designer run you through what you would like and what fits in your space etc....then they produce a computer generated design for you to look at.....from this they produce a quote which lists all the components needed for your kitchen. (this is sometimes very difficult to understand, they use "inhouse" codes and language, and its not always possible to determine if everything is correct.....It usually IS NOT) .

By all means go with purchasing through your account holder and have a go at fitting....work methodically.. dont be initially over awed by the reams of paperwork and item list...be careful with things like end decor panels..or when abutting or building in your appliances....Also be prepared to be short of items or have faulty items (howdens are notorious for there pickers, picking the wrong items) coupled with subcontract delivery drivers you dont always get what you are expecting...this may be a problem if you are not the account holder and need replacement bits..or bits are missing,

Finally howdens kitchens are all factory made to very good tolerances, good tolerances are great when you are working on good even surfaces or dead flat walls, but again work slowly, and always have that long straight edge handy.

Russell

Nearly there with the fitting of my new kitchen. Bottled it myself and got some to fit it for me.

We have a "Magic Corner" that is fitted but we are left over with some kind of spring loadaed bracket, we think this helps in the closure of the cupboard but we don't know how or where it fits.

I have been in contact with Howdens who don't seem to want to help.

Anyone have any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back