Howdy!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Just thought I would say a friendly hello from a DIY novice but a new home owner, I cannot wait to get stuck into some DIY and hope some of your knowledge and plenty of guidance can help me out and become a better man! :LOL: (my Mrs doesn't think I can do anything)

There might be a lot of questions so I apologise in advance

JP

Sponsored Links
Hi JP

Welcome to the mad world of DIY not

If your Mrs thinks you can't do anything, its probably best to keep it that way. :LOL:

Thanks squeaky,

Well she would rather get someone in to do all the jobs around the place but where is the fun in that? Just wish I had the knowledge sooner but until you have your own place it's not really needed knowledge, shame really

Sponsored Links
Your missus thinks you can't do ANYTHING?????
:confused:

The usual answer on the DIY forums is, "Get an electrician", "Get a plumber" or "Get a builder", etc etc.

By posting a remark that she thinks you can't do ANYTHING you may well get a reply like, "I'm available if she needs a man!" :LOL:

Welcome to the mad house! Sense of humour essential! :LOL:

Welcome JG
If you do get handy at DIY then don't let the neighbours know.....
You'll get no peace and also become a free shop :eek: :p
John :)

Lol thanks for the advice, after moving into this house there is a bit more to do than first thought, nothing major though, I do technical structural drawings for a living but never done a domestic build so I am ashamed to say I don't have a clue! So hopefully joining you guys will help my career as well as hopefully my house

If I had the choice, an extra bedroom / room would be spot-on; having to try to maintain a sense on "live-ability" in a needed room that you are working on adds ages to a job.

Better to be able to not have to tidy up and put away every evening, and just be able to crack on, when you next get the chance.

I'm not an expert in anything (well almost) but I'm willing to have a go in order to (a) save money, (b) gain some satisfaction in achieving something and (c) learn some basic skills.

I have had some really useful advice on here although, sometimes, you have to accept that some will offer little more than jocularity and even criticism. You do need a sense of humour. I find that most people, however, can be very helpful.

I should add that, admittedly on very rare occasions, I have managed to contribute in a very small way from my own experiences.

Welcome JG

You mean free tool hire company. :evil:

Definitely so, Eddie...
We also supply free screws, nuts and bolts, wall plugs, fire clay cement, two stroke oil, tap washers and the odd shovelful of cement.
Please form an orderly queue :p
P.S. We also sharpen plane blades, drills and chisels free.......do scrape the paint off first, though.
J.

Welcome JG

How true John... a few years ago I tiled the kitchen floor and I must say done a excellent job ;) ;) ...then came the family member who suddenly wanted their floors doing now that I am the "expert" :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .. then a neighbour come in and suddenly said he was doing his floor but was not sure and needed help :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ..after doing them my knees went dodgy before other free requests come my way

Sponsored Links
Back