Huge gap in ceiling to wall! Need advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

So where the wall meets my ceiling it is solid plaster that curves into the ceiling. I had a plasterer over and he said to take out the curve so he can plaster straight up the wall. I didn't think anything of it until I started doing it.

The curve was pretty solid and on the ceiling part it was pretty much plastered onto floating plasterboard, so when I chiseled it off it took about 3.5 inches off the plasterboard, so now I am left with this big 3.5 inch gap where the ends of the plasterboard have broken off!!

It's mainly this bad on one side of the wall. I really don't want to redo the whole ceiling as that would just be disastrous for me, time and budget. Looking for solutions to fix this as it is. I was looking into metal wire beading, maybe nail one side to the wall and the other to the plaster board, though I don't think the beading is very wide for a 3.5 inch gap :(

Any advice would be appreciated. Image below is before and top is after.

after.jpg

before.jpg

Sponsored Links
one idea I just had let me know what you guys think, is to cut pieces of plaster board double width of gap and glue one half and slip in and stick down each piece. I would need to really clean down the loft side of the original board, unfortunately I can't gain access to the loft as it would be much easier to stick from up there. For the glue I'm thinking coving paste or no more nails or something?

Personally, I'd be taking the ceiling down and reboarding it, not a huge job and not significantly more expensive than just skimming as 8x4 boards are only a fiver each. You could even overboard it.

Sponsored Links
it's not the price of the board but the stress of it all. The ceiling is perfectly good, just needs those ends fixed.

Tiger: No it wasn't molded, just solid plaster, so rather than straight edge it's curving into ceiling

so what do you think about my idea, cutting halfway across the joist and piecing plaster board on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back