Human Rights

Who decides which legal occurrences can be against human rights?

Why is lawfully sentencing someone to a period of imprisonment never brought as a case of being against their human rights?

Why is charging me £145.50 to watch my television not against my human rights?
Yet, duly sentencing someone to wear a tag can be.
The state of that someone's mind is irrelevant, isn't it? As it would be if sentenced to prison or other detention.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Why is lawfully sentencing someone to a period of imprisonment never brought as a case of being against their human rights?

It's on it's way. It will happen.

Twenty years ago people chuckled at the very idea that prisoners would be paid huge amounts of compo for their cells being too cold or too warm.

It happened.

• Thanks
we all have to live within the rules the ones we like and the ones we don't like
some rules are black and white some are more flexible to take into several variances
and interpretations as well as guide lines how to apply them
there are also other influencing factors like social and psychiatric to consider along with character and status

we all have to live within the rules the ones we like and the ones we don't like

So this chap didn't quite abide by the rules and now has the cheek to claim his human rights have been infringed ?? Seems to me, he's willing to abide by the rules he does like, but doesn't want to abide by the rules he doesn't.

there are also other influencing factors
Yep and you missed religion out of those "influencing factors"

• Thanks
Sponsored Links

It's on it's way. It will happen.

Twenty years ago people chuckled at the very idea that prisoners would be paid huge amounts of compo for their cells being too cold or too warm.

It happened.
Choosing criminal activity as a career is becoming more and more attractive.

Not to me, and not to most people of good character and a legitimate lifestyle choice and employment, but for those people who have never bothered to make an effort with their life it must appear quite an attractive option.

Take your chances: sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. If you should lose, there's a pretty good chance that you'll just have your wrists slapped (depending on the crime). Keep doing it, and they may come on strong and give you something like a suspended sentence. If you're unlucky you might receive a fine: no problem, you can't afford to pay it. It'll probably just be written off. Keep it up and you might just get sent to prison: no problem, all your mates will be there and you'll be out before you know it and armies of do-gooders lining up to get you started (on your chosen 'career') again.

And the powers that be can't understand why crime rates (real crime, not reported crime) aren't falling.

its the fact he has not been convicted yet off any crime so not yet a dangerous nutter just a nutter sorry that should be a person with possible phobia or psychological problems

We used to have places for people like him. They were called asylums. There for the protection of society as well as the individual. The residents didn't need to commit crimes to be admitted.

You say that you don't know what all the fuss is about. In that case, perhaps you could say if you would be happy for this person to be living next door to you and your family?

We used to have places for people like him. They were called asylums. There for the protection of society as well as the individual. The residents didn't need to commit crimes to be admitted.

WS don't forget many years ago, getting pregnant outside of wedlock was enough to be incarcerated in an asylum.

There is an awful lot of media hype over human rights and much of it is ill-informed. The media are the first to raise alarm when cases such as the one quoted at the start of this post come to light. However, they fail to report on the many cases which are an actual benefit to the general populace (granted they are few and far between but they do exist)

The key issue here is that The UK does not have a written constitution nor a modern bill of rights. Unlike many other countries (notably The US) legal issues arising from the wider area of human rights require the legal eagles to invoke The ECHR because the lack of our own written constitution/bill of rights dictates that this is their only recourse. Sadly, the general populace see this as yet more interference from Europe predominantly because that is the route of such legal appeals.

If we had our own written constitution/bill of rights as The US does, such legal appeals would be made through our own courts to assess whether they are 'unconstitutional' (ostensibly against the bill of rights) and Europe would rarely be involved. Of course, we may still see what appear to be (at first glance) perverse decisions but the media would be less interested in waving the 'European interference' flag.

The Tories have been banging on about a modern UK Bill of Rights for years but thus far we have seen nothing. Such a bill would have benefits but it would not prevent apparently perverse decisions such as this one occurring in the future. All it would do is lay the blame at the door of The UK Legal System rather than at Europe's.

FWIW, The US system produces even more perverse decisions in respect of human rights. This is a global issue and not just our little island's problem.

BTW, Article 5 enshrines the entitlement to imprison a person legally found guilty of a crime so, providing the trial is fair, no chance of imprisonment being against their human rights.

Mental note: if I'm ever caught and convicted of any sort of crime, plead insanity or claim that some supernatural being told me to do it.

Mental note: if I'm ever caught and convicted of any sort of crime, plead insanity or claim that some supernatural being told me to do it.

If you can convince the expert shrinks then fair play BUT you will end up in the same boat - imprisonment is imprisonment whether in Broadmoor or Belmarsh.

Sponsored Links
Back