hydraulic door closers

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have fire doors with Perko closers. The doors are being replaced with panelled fire doors for appearance, I have seen hydraulic tubular closers and wonder if they would be less inclined to slam? I am having fire frames with the furry smoke pile which stops draughts and reduces noise, and even though the door is trimmed to barely touch, it seems to slow it just as the latch should be closing, so it needs quite a firm final pull; yet I don't want them to slam hard :confused:

Sponsored Links
You would be better fitting a conventional door closer , they have latching speed adjustment as well as closing speed adjustment.

do you mean one that sits above the door with a box and an articulated arm? I wouldn't want them in my house. The morticed Perko style is almost invisible so looks fine.

I see, I prefer something that works to something that looks pretty.Each to their own. ;)

Sponsored Links
this is an ordinary domestic house. Would you want Kathy Burke sprawled over your hearthrug?

so this was my original question about these neat little things
375102.jpg
I have seen hydraulic tubular closers and wonder if they would be less inclined to slam?
sadly no answer to that, and I am unlikely to buy

159039.jpg

or
655420.jpg

which are very unsightly and/or much more expensive
:(

Hydraulic Perkos (Or similar) are very temperamental. Oil viscosity is constantly changing. When hot they slam, when cold they do not close correctly. They have some latching adjustment but not a lot. Also some panelled doors cannot accept the body depth. Good fun to fit too. Don`t forget the extended "bit".
Any "little" fingers about, these love to eat them.

How about concealed overhead closers, far superior.
http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/.../49001/Rutland_ITS11204_Concealed_Door_Closer

Best closers are American ones called LCN`s, expensive but once fitted you can forget them.

Oy! I'll have nothing said against Kathy Burke.

The Geze Boxer is less expensive and does the same job - fully concealed etc, but check there's enough timber thickness at the top of the door:-
http://www

more than a thousand pounds to do my house?

I'll stick with the perkos.

Happy slamming doors then.

Thought of rising butt hinges and soft close latches?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back