I am scared of the dark!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!!!!
Sitting here writing this in the dark as all lights in house have blown. Anything simple I can try myself or is it just get an electrician?
Thanks....and be quick answering, am starting to feel scared!

Sponsored Links
Fizz said:
Help!!!!
Sitting here writing this in the dark as all lights in house have blown. Anything simple I can try myself or is it just get an electrician?
Thanks....and be quick answering, am starting to feel scared!
try have you tried resetting the MCB or replacing the fuse?

did it just blow when you switched a light on? if yes then itll have tripped the MCB

your upstairs light may be on a seperate circut and still work also any table lamps with a normal plug will still work assuming you are working from your computer plugged in

Sorry you will have to be slow and EXACT with me :rolleyes:
All lights on two of the floors blew when I switched a light on, my 2 bedrooms downstairs are still working though and all the switches.
Have just about worked out that the MCB is the Mains Circuit Breaker, now I will just have to locate it, whatever IT looks like, and then what do I do????
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Oh and do tell me if you think I am TOO dangerous to do anything and I will just ring an electrician out of the paper and hope that he is an honest man! :eek:

Miniature Circuit Breaker. First, turn off the light that made the circuit blow . On your consumer unit you should see a row of switches and one of them will be down (off). Switch it on (up) and all should be well.

your mcbs are minature and there is usualy several turn off the light that caused the problem go to where your electric meter is and look for lots of little switches in a row may be behind a cover look for the one pointing in the opposite to the rest

Fizz said:
Oh and do tell me if you think I am TOO dangerous to do anything and I will just ring an electrician out of the paper and hope that he is an honest man! :eek:

reminds me of last night: my mam and sister sat in the house for 3 hours with no lights b/c the MCB had tripped. they waitin til i got in to reset it. similar thing a few month ago: the RCD tripped so only lights worked. they waitin a number of hours until i got in. like ive told them b4, just reset it, if there is a fault it will trip again

providing you only touch the mcbs you are quite safe if its fuse wire [no swiches visible] just little oblongs usualy with colourd dots on them
then you have to turn the main power off to change it

Wow, thanks so much, I flicked the switch and there was light!
Just one final question, if thats not taking libertys. Should I try turning those wall lights on again, or did they blow because there was something wrong with them?

Yes, waiting until light, seems the most sensible idea!
Anyway thanks for all your help and have just realised that my lights went, I came online and asked for help and you helped me resolve it in less than an hour!
You are all stars!

Fizz said:
...have just realised that my lights went, I came online and asked for help and you helped me resolve it in less than an hour!

If you'd known where your consumer unit was it might have been just five minutes! :LOL:

we are all very pleased to help

you could also tape somthing over the light switch to stop it accidently getting turned on :cry:

if you still have strait hair you have done everything correctly
if you now have frizzy hair :cool: ;)

Well this tousled, slightly frizzy, hair was here before I started so I don't think you have anything to worry over! However, did forget to mention that I was unsure whether I had the the wall lights on or off before I flipped the switch, I KNOW!!! :oops: It was the same way as others in the room so assumed it was off, HOWEVER, once I flicked the switch I realised that it is in fact the other way round and had been on! One of the wall lights is working but the other is not so hopefully just a bulb.
Again I apologise for my ignorance, and although I did know where the fuse box was, I didnt have any idea what you do with it! Until now!
Unfortunately all-girl schools just taught us needlework, cookery and flower arranging! They didn't see the need for us to learn such 'rough' skills as electrics, woodworking and plumbing! Not quite sure WHO exactly they thought was going to do it for us!!!! :confused:
Anyway, thanks again!
Fizz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back