I could do with a bit more help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from another suggestion.

Some of my radiators weren't even getting warm never mind hot. I have made sure the pump is working and have bled all the radiators. I then put in two litres of de sludging cleaner yesterday.

Today I turned off all the radiators to try and push the desludger around a bit. After a while I turned on one radiator downstairs and it got very hot very quickly. So I left it for 10 mins and then turned it off. I did the same with the next one with exactly the same result, bleeding any air out as well.

The original radiator I was having the trouble with was next. When I opened the inlet it took ages (nearly 3 minutes) for the inlet pipe to start to get warm and another 2 for it to get really hot. It's been on now for nearly 30 mins and the inlet pipe is very hot but the radiator only warm. Both valves are open fully, the radiator's surface is uniformally the same temperature, but the boiler only seems to run for a few minutes before stopping again.

The boiler, a Potterton Profile? was only serviced recently and has been working fine, hot water works nicely. The pump, a Grundfos 15-50-130 has been bled, is set to 3 and appears to be clean. The radiator is the last of the originals so must be about 30 years old as will be the pipes to it. It also bigger than the other two I've tried so far.

The house is about 5C at the moment, the thermostat is set at 25C. Turning it down it clicks at 6C and up it clicks at 9C.

I really would appreciate a bit of help please.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the boiler is behaving as you would expect with only one radiator on at a time it will go on and off frequently.

There must be a blockage somewhere in the pipework to the problem radiator. I would suggest looking through the FAQs on this forum for the Bucket Test.

Edit here's a link. //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=175736&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Obviously you have to drain the radiator then completely disconnect the valves from the radiator before you can test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back