I have a problem with my Worcester 240 Combi RSF boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my Worcester 240 Combi RSF boiler.

After turning on the hot water tap or the central heating the gas jets ignite then after about 1 minute it trips the reset switch and cuts out.

I repeat after waiting 10-15 mins for it to cool down enough to press the reset button again.

Same thing happens....any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
the boiler is overheating. so could be pump or just air that is trapped.

Thanks for the replies.....air in the system sounds possible, I recently bled all the radiators and there was a lot of air in the system, pump seems ok though.

After bleeding the radiators what else can I do before calling out an expensive enginner?

Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
When you bled the radiators, did you top the pressure back up to about 1.2-1.5 Bar?

No Gas4you.....I will get the manual out and have a look see how that's done, thanks for the advice.

Pete

After bleeding the radiators what else can I do before calling out an expensive enginner?

When accountants charge £90 per hour in their office and solicitors about £130-£330 per hour in their office then a boiler engineer at a much lower price should be seen as a much cheaper alternative particularly as he travels free to your home! That travel can be about two hours for go and return!

Tony

i agree. people are happy to pay £100 an hour for a dealership to service there car but complain about much lower fees for a plumber/ gas engineer to travel to there home and charge approx a half to quarter of the cost of a mechanic.

i agree. people are happy to pay £100 an hour for a dealership to service there car but complain about much lower fees for a plumber/ gas engineer to travel to there home and charge approx a half to quarter of the cost of a mechanic.

i doubt you will find many who are "happy" to pay £100 p/h for a vehicle service.

the payment for services and its expense is entirely dependant on your own personal finances and circumstances. the OP didnt say it wasnt worth it, just that is is in his opinion expensive. he really has no care what the engineer does with his fee just how much is going out of his wallet, worthwhile or not. i pay my mechanic £35 p/h and its worth every penny, i doubt i would get any better service for £100 p/h which i would find expensive.

From recent survey:-

GARAGES in London are charging the highest hourly rates for car service labour, it has been revealed.

Labour rates ranged from an average £116.53 an hour at franchised dealers in the capital to just £32.12 at independent workshops in Lanarkshire, Scotland, figures from the Warranty Direct company showed.
The highest hourly rate found was £170.61 in London and even in Lanarkshire the highest rate found was £112.80.

The five most expensive regions for franchised dealers were London, Middlesex, Hertfordshire, Surrey and Warwickshire.

The five least expensive were Cornwall, Angus in Scotland, Cumbria, North Yorkshire and Aberdeenshire.

Most expensive hourly rates for independent garages were in Oxfordshire, Hertfordshire, East Sussex, Cambridgeshire and Middlesex, while the least expensive were Lanarkshire, Ayrshire, Angus, Somerset and Staffordshire.

The disparity between franchised and dealer labour rates was starkest in the West Midlands, where the average was £66.35 an hour, but was as high as £117.45 at franchised garages, and as low as just £23.50 at independent workshops.

In all, the survey covered more than 3,000 garages.

That makes most boiler engineers rates seem quite reasonable!

Tony

Thanks guys....I will probably end up having to call out an engineer.....gas boilers are not the sort of thing amateurs should mess with.

I am on a tight budget just now and that's the only reason I am going this route.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back