I name that arcatrave in........?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking to replace missing/incorrect arcatrave but don't know where to start looking. Property is a Victorian (approx 1890) and in Staffordshire - might help!?!

Figured best thing is to try and name what I have. Not sure if there are 10 or 10,000 different styles but posting photos in the hope someone can help.

Downstairs - measures approx 3.5 inches wide.
View media item 85510 View media item 85509
Upstairs (symmetrical design) - measures approx 3 inches wide.
View media item 85511
Thanks for looking

Sponsored Links
Wow!!! You've confirmed my worst fear - there are loads of designs (on the website). So much for hoping there were only 10!! ;)

there is a fair chance that it was turned out by some local joinery factory.

So there might have been quite a number of houses in your area with the same profile, and homeowners or restorers buying it from time to time, and perhaps some demolishers or modernisers chucking it out.

When I had an old house, I asked in my local merchant, who made skirtings and other mouldings on a spindle cutter, and they said they would run some off when they had enough local people to make it worth their while (they would have run me off a small order with a price loading for setting up). I have a friend who used to make up bits with his combination plane.

More recently the kitchen fitter needed some matching skirting and whizzed it up with his router. So maybe it is not as hard to match as you thought.

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem with oak skirting in a Victorian property and to be quite honest it would have cost me a fortune to have a local merchant cut them bespoke. I needed only around 10 meters. I ended up not going that route, and decided to replace the skirting in all the rooms but keep it in the hallway as the stair strings had this Victorian design. I used what I ripped out to repair all the hallway areas so at least the house retained it's character where it has most impact.

If that was me and I came up against a very intricate architrave like that I would basically rip out and replace with a design that looks as much like it as possible. You might find a moulding almost identical but sadly in most cases it is always 'almost' and you need an exact like for like fit which is very unlikely

Good advice from the chaps before me but there's always a time and energy issue with these things. You could spend the next two weeks trying to sort that if not careful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back