I Need Advice On Setting For Boiler & Radiators Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Chaps

I have recently moved into an old detached property, im renting privately, it has been modernised inside with the walls, new electrics and heating system. I want to ask what i should set the boiler and radiators to and a few other things.

Living room - 2 good sized double rads with TRV, door to hall.

Hall - No rad, thermostat on wall, front door and door to kitchen.

Kitchen (large) - open stairway to upstairs , 1 good sized TRV single rad (could do with a double).

Upstairs landing - single rad with TRV

3 Bedrooms - each with door, rads with TRV

Largish bathroom - boiler in cupboard, double rad without TRV, door to landing.

Q1 - the hall has no rad, you need to go through hall to get from living room to kitchen, so i need to leave a door open to heat it, should i leave all the downstairs doors open or just one, it would mean trying to get an even temp between the kitchen, living room and hall. I dont think the kitchen single radiator is sufficient for the kitchen, never mind heating the hall too, also the heat goes upstairs as there is no door.

Q2 - the wall thermostat in the hall seems to be out by about 5 deg, should i ask the landlord to change this or should i just turn it to max and leave the heating on, there is no rad in the hall anyway.

Q3 - the bathroom has no TRV, i know one rad is meant to be left open however it ends up heating the bathroom too hot ie 23 or 24 deg. Should i keep the bathroom door shut or should i leave the upstairs doors open and let the heat circulate between the bathroom, landing and main bedroom?

Q4 - What is the recommended temp setting for my boilers heating system dial, its a baxi, as you turn the dial the digital display tells you a temp. My wash machine is a cold fill. Is it best to keep it at max or set it to about 60 deg or other temp?

Q5 - As the kitchen is harder to heat due to the insufficient sized rad, should i request that it be made the open radiator and fit a TRV to the bathroom rad, which would then prevent the bathroom from getting too warm, then the open rad would be put to better use in the kitchen?

If you need more info or pics please ask, i dont mind if it helps me out. Many thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
If you bother the Landlord too much then he may not want to renew the rental agreement when it ends!

Set the boiler heating flow to 65 C, set the HW to 50 C and the TRVs to about 2/3 of their maximum.

Tony

If you bother the Landlord too much then he may not want to renew the rental agreement when it ends!

Set the boiler heating flow to 65 C, set the HW to 50 C and the TRVs to about 2/3 of their maximum.

Tony

Thanks Tony. I have done this. Do you think its worth keeping the bathroom door shut or not, it has the open radiator.

Landlords nightmare......I doubt whether the landlord will be renewing your tenancy..

Sponsored Links
Be aware that your desire to seriously minimize fuel usage is very rare.

Most tenants I see are surprisingly unconcerned about minimizing heating costs.

Not uncommon to see heating on and windows open!

Tony

he is getting 750 squids from me a month so i think i deserve things to a decent standard.
Count yourself lucky as 750 notes a month is cheap , I'd be happy to stoke a fire for that....if I were you I'd put up and shut up ....never look a gift horse in the mouth....:)

Be aware that your desire to seriously minimize fuel usage is very rare.

Most tenants I see are surprisingly unconcerned about minimizing heating costs.

Not uncommon to see heating on and windows open!

Tony

I still want to be comfortable in the house. It annoys me to have the bathroom roasting hot in order to keep the rest of the house warm, since setting the boiler to 65 its not so bad and the rest of the rooms are warm enough too.

I have mentioned this to the landlord that the wall thermostat had a loos dial, its wildly out too, even when i turn it right up until it wont turn any more, sometimes the heating does not come on, yet if i move the switch on the boiler to timer, it fires up right away. The handyman will look at the wall thermostat on Monday when he is here doing a few other small jobs.

Count yourself lucky as 750 notes a month is cheap , I'd be happy to stoke a fire for that....if I were you I'd put up and shut up ....never look a gift horse in the mouth....:)

I never said it was expensive also how can you judge when you dont know enough about the property to judge if its cheap or expensive. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back