I want to connect 2 networks 1 my internet and other my CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im not the best when it comes to computers. At the moment i have my virgin media internet coming in the front of my house and i have a netgear wirless router. I have a wireless belkin hub in my pc upstairs at the back of the house and it just about works.
Last week i recently puchased a CCTV system and it has a network connection. It connects via a router and then to a pc.
My cctv system is at the back of the house and no where near my internet router so i can't really plug it into it. I thought maybe getting hold of another router just for my CCTV and connecting to my pc that way.

Thing is i would like to connect the router via the internet so that i can watch it on any computer anywhere if it is possible. But the main reason im on here is can i connect 2 routers and work both at the same time. ie. watch my cctv on my pc and browse the internet at the same time.

Sponsored Links
The CCTV manufacture told me it has to go via a Modem / router then to a pc.
does this device plug into the LAN network connection of my cctv system. Then do i wireless search it from my home pc.
Sorry but im a bit think when it comes to networking.

does this device plug into the LAN network connection of my cctv system. Then do i wireless search it from my home pc.

You connect it to the LAN connection on your CCTV system and it wirelessly connects to your existing network. Then you can simply connect to the CCTV system. Any more detail than that will require documentation..

Sponsored Links

You connect it to the LAN connection on your CCTV system and it wirelessly connects to your existing network. Then you can simply connect to the CCTV system. Any more detail than that will require documentation..

cheers that sounds just the job. So i can still browse the internet and my cctv at the same time then.

cheers that sounds just the job. So i can still browse the internet and my cctv at the same time then.

Exactly. Your CCTV unit should be, as far as the network is concerned, just another computer. You'll be able to access it from a web browser. The instructions with it should give you the details.

Unfortunate name..

That should work fine. Any extra info needed should be in the manual with it. Which is helpfully not available online.

i have now got the wireless AP. But i am clueless to how to set it up. I can manage to log into the AP setup via 192.168.2.1. But im clueless to what i have to set up on the menu etc. What IP address do i assign my CCTV to and where do i find my IP address details etc. I know it must be difficult to explain with not seeing the setup etc but if you could point me in the right direection please.

Hi,

Once you connect the camera, it will be assigned an IP address by your Router.

While this is normally the next available IP address (e.g. 192.168.0.10) - this would be the 10th device on your network for example, you should be able to tell your router to always give a certain device a certain IP address. This way the camera will always have the same IP address, rather than the next available one.

So.... how to do this....

Depends on your router model - but you'll have to log in to it as an administrator. See if you can find a menu option which says something like "connected devices". Identify which device is the camera (it will list each device by what is called a MAC address) - you'll be able to see which is the camera by disconnecting it, and refreshing the list of connected devices on the router, and then plugging it back in again - seeing each time which device appears and disappears, you'll need to find a menu option which will be called something like "Address reservation list". Here you'll be able to fix which MAC address is always given a certain IP address.

Doing this will enable you to always have the same IP address for the camera.

I hope this helps your on your journey....

Cheers,

Charles.

Sponsored Links
Back