I want to paint my fence blue...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to paint my fence blue, it's currently a light-ish shade of brown (tan).

my questions
what brand/type of paint do I use :?:
what prep work would I have to do :?:
whens the best time to do it :?:

I can upload pics of the fence if needed

Sponsored Links
cuprinol or ronseal do plenty of blue fence treatments. do it when its dry.

Some of the big sheds do there own brands that can be just as good and be cheaper. dust of any cobwebs and loose bits of bark and paint away. If its quite dry and thirsty, it will require more coats when dry, but will eventually cover.

personally i dont like the shed own brands i dont find them as good. But then again i dont like painting fences, once you start youve got a job for life!

Sponsored Links
Fences are best left to a natural colour, anything else just doesn't look right. Go for a green or brown.

Anyway that's what Alan Titchmarsh said.

Andy

The house we moved to last year ago has a pro landscaped back garden with blue fence panels. At first we weren't sure of the colour but now like it. Somehow it makes the green and colours of shrubs stand out and is different to boring old browns. It needs painting again so I started to look at the options but clearly blue is not an 'in-colour' anymore. Local DIY Warehouse had just two unopened 5 ltr tubs and one obviously opened returned can of Ronseal Fencelife, but when I checked the latest catalogue, they have stopped doing blue completely. Cuprinol do a blue in their 'garden shades' range but I think it costs like £19 for 5 litres! Wilkinson website shows they do an ocean blue for £5.50ish which seems like a good deal.

Although I used green paint for my summerhouse, I chose Cuprinol 'Heritage Shades' Old English Green. The paint was excellent (if a little expensive) and the first coat was almost sufficient in itself. A second coat finished it off a treat.

I once tried Wilkos fence paint and found it to be extremely wishy washy. I threw it away.

Ive since bought more of the Cuprinol Heritage Shades paint so I can do all 17 fence panels in my garden.

Thanks for the warning about the Wilkinson product. Almost bought some today just to try. Think perhaps I might snap up the last 3 Ronseal's as you know you're getting a decent product. Mind you got a dilemma about neighbours. Not sure who owns which fence. Guy to the left painted his brown last summer and it ran all down my blue fence. People to the right painted theirs brown last year and given it is the reverse of the panel if I paint mine blue it will run down theirs. Perhaps I should offer to repaint their side?

We painted a fence 3 years ago with ORANGE emulsion I got off a BnQ returns shelf. Sounds Ugh! But see what u think. Cheaper too the 5 ltr tin did two coats on four panels. The black was \Sandtex .

View media item 21709 picture taken today.

Yep I only got a silver medal for that one, maybe brown would have been more acceptable to the pensioners club

3 years to date, and no fade yet. I/m happy for the price. and actually emulsion is just vinyl in water so many traders use it outside but hussssshhhhhh its not for the public to know, put exterior on the outside of the can and charge more simples*8

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back