Ice caps melting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Humor me if you will, but as water expands when frozen when the north pole melts I cannot see that the water will rise. Only the south pole where some is on land would see any increase. I do wonder how often this is taken into consideration when we are told most of the world will be wearing wellies soon.

Any opinions?

Sponsored Links
It is very well known and understood (except perhaps by an ignorant minority of anti-science deniers).

Ice melt in the Antarctic, and in glaciers in cold or mountainous regions, have already contributed, and will continue to contribute, to increased flooding, rain and sea levels.

Perhaps you are also aware of Greenland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenland_ice_sheet

Floating icebergs, and the Artic ice, do not.

However, as ice and snow are very reflective of sunlight, loss of ice cover accelerates warming.

You are correct.
That's why icebergs float partially above the surface.

To be fair, I think it is stated in any authoritative report; maybe not the BBC lately.

Does anyone know anywhere that the sea-level has risen since they were young?

Sponsored Links
One major problem is if enough ice melts at the North Pole it's capable of stopping the conveyor belt aka the Gulf Stream, this is due to fresh water floating on salt water, the result of which is the UK would become a frozen waste land similar to Canada which is on the same latitude as us but don't get the warmth of the G.S.

Would it be a great loss if London disappeared beneath the waves?

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
the barrier is shut when wind direction coincides with high tides and air pressure. The higher the water in the estuary, the more often the barrier gets shut.
Yes, storm surges. Big one in 1953.

Since it was built is has had to be opened more and more often, and there is talk of more flood control being needed downstream.
Closed ?

When it is open is the river level and/or sea level higher than it used to be?

Would it be a great loss if London disappeared beneath the waves?

It's the hordes of yuppies who will head north for the first time that will be the problem.
Most of them have never seen a cow. They might need councelling. :LOL:

If global warming (oops, sorry, 'climate change') is, in fact, occurring then logically ice will melt...

...then freeze again, just as it has done for millions of years. You've heard of the ice ages, I take it.

I don't believe that humans are responsible for this constant climatic change that has been going on far longer than humans were ever even thought of.

If global warming (oops, sorry, 'climate change') is, in fact, occurring...

"If?"

Are you suggesting that it isn't?

I have heard accusations that it isn't, and seen graphs that suggest that seasonal averages over the years are not that different and could be down to just normal temporal changes.

Before you shoot me down in flames, I'm not saying that I believe that global warming is not occurring. It may be, but this may be a relatively short-term occurrence.

What I do believe is that there is an army of complainers who will take any opportunity to criticise on the basis of little or no concrete evidence. Greenpeace is a prime example.

Sponsored Links
Back