ICOS Ideal Boiler (HE12) - CH Works But No Hot Water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I wonder if someone would be kind enough to offer abit of advice:cool:

I have an ICOS Ideal Standard HE12 condensing boiler/heating system and I woke up this morning and unfortunately the hot water isnt working. There is no fault being shown on the user controls but when I run the hot water tap all I get is cold water and the boiler control panel stays at "0" as oppose to what should happen, the boiler firing up and the control panel changing to HW to show Hot Water is being requested (0 is the standard to show no hot water, be it CH or HW is being requested at that time).

I did check the water pressure on the main tank and that was right down to 0 so I opened the 2 valves and put that back upto 1.5 thinking it might work but unfortunately no luck :( I then turned the immersion heater on but again that has been on for over 2 hours now and no hot water at all which is wierd because I didnt actually think the boiler and the immersion heater was linked?

For your information, the central heating is working fine. As soon as I put the thermostat up, the boiler fires up and the 0 on the control panel turns to CH to show I am requesting hot water for the central heating and then heating works fine :confused:

Is it a case of getting a qualified engineer out?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer

Sponsored Links
Not a boiler fault it will be a zone valve for the HW(most likely) or cylinder stat faulty

Thanks for the reply shambolic:cool:

I thought I would post the outcome of my problem as when I was looking I found that most people who had the same problem on various forums never actually posted what the final verdict was :mad:

As you said shambolic, I got a friends engineer friend out and he thought it was a cylinder stat fault so I ordered a new one and it was fitted. When the boiler still wouldnt start up, further investigation went ahead.

It turns out that a wire had come loose in the electrics for the hot water cylinder in the cupboard where the cylinder is kept! As soon as the wire was re-connected everything fired up normally!

I never did ask for them to put the old stat in to try and see if it did need replacing, I was just more relieved to have hot water again!

Anyway, like I said, I just thought I would post the outcome incase someone does a search for the same problem :D

Thanks again for the reply shambolic. It appears the problem I had would have been the stat if it wasnt for a loose wire so you was right :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back