Idea for fitting new cornice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm hoping some of you experienced people here will be able to help me with an idea I have.

I want to fit a simple cornice in a bathroom that will act as a reflector for uplighting LED lights. It will be a simple flat white cornice. I have uploaded an illustration.

I have investigated to see if a prefabricated cornice or skirting board is available, but I found nothing suitable.

Has anyone any ideas as to best and/or the simplest way for me to achieve this?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Your cornice appears to meet both wall and ceiling which would prevent it up-lighting the ceiling?

Your cornice appears to meet both wall and ceiling which would prevent it up-lighting the ceiling?

The uplighting LED strip is going to be fitted on a 70mm wide ledge below the cornice, pointing up toward the cornice, so allowing the cornice to angle the light into the room.

I think you are going to have to run some angled strips to fit the cornice to - for ease of cutting, I would think about making the cornice 45 degrees, although I suppose you could do 30 degrees and 60 degrees almost as easily.

You might get away with just a strip run along the wall, depending on what you are making the flat out of and whether or not you are intending on skimming it once fitted. I think I would put a strip along the ceiling as well - but I always over-engineer!!

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

I wanted to keep the angle quite shallow so that more of the light is reflected down rather than across.

I was thinking of thin (3-6mm) MDF or ply painted white. So no skimming.

Am I interpreting you correctly? Is this what you mean?

Yup. That is exactly what I mean.

The problem with not putting a strip across the ceiling, as I see it, is it will be difficult to deal with any fluctuations in level, particularly if you don't want to skim it once finished.

You will have to be pretty precise in your cutting and fitting, and hope your ceiling is 'flat'.

Reflector is superfluous the white ceiling will reflect the light down.

Nigel: I see what you mean about the flatness of the ceiling. Perhaps decorators caulk could help solve that issue if it rises.

Foxhole: You are absolutely right, but I'm hoping that the reflector will increase the intensity in the right areas ... it may well be false hope.

Thanks for the ideas and input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back