Ideal Classic FF250 Central heating Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 10 year old ideal classic boiler runs fine but shortly after starting I get a noise like leaking air which continues for a little while after the boiler stops . No water anywhere so I don't think it is a water leak. The only thing that happened recently is that I had a new fan fitted about a month ago but it doesn't seem to be seem to be coming from that but from behind the heat exchanger any ideas? It has been working fine for the past few weeks with this noise so I am more concerned that it may break down in the dead of winter.

Sponsored Links
Can't think what this can be. There is nothing behind the HE on a classic except the white aps tube, and if this was split or disconnected the boiler would not operate correctly.

I take it it is a standard classic and not on a sealed system with an auto airvent fitted on the boiler?

I have checked the tubes behind the heat exchanger and they seem ok I have a vent pipe in the attic and a header tank so I don't think I have a sealed system But it sounds just like leaking air in 2 short bursts at a time. I have printed out the data sheet and can't see anything in it that could cause the noise. is anyone aware of an Ideal technical help line?

Sponsored Links
Sound of leaking air do you mean a hiss ,this could be a leaking heat exchanger dripping or condensation and reason you can`t see signs of it is because it is evaporating straight away. Have a look for white ish residue stains for evidence

I first though it was a leaking heat exchanger but I have looked at it without the casing and there is no sign of a leak or flame flicker indicating water dropping on the flame and its not a steady hiss and sometimes stops It may be pressure related as it start as the boiler warms up and continues for about 30 second afterward it does sound like air not water. Would the Fernox leak stop help if is a leaky gasket?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back