ideal classic RS250 kettling

p.s. I fitted the insulation myself as he didn't fit any. ive since found out he was supposed to have done this under G3. when I told the young guy he sent to sort the boiler connections, he said it probably wasn't done as its in an airing cupboard so doesn't get cold :rolleyes: .

ive just checked him out on gas safe and hes listed as having G3.

Sponsored Links
It does sound as if he has notified the BC.

But he should also have installed it correctly as well!

Tony

thanks again Agile. last night I did a bit of a test:

the flow pipe is slightly warm, im guessing due to it having a pilot light. anyway from a cold start the boiler starts to kettle after about 30-60 seconds. yet the flow pipe is barely any warmer. this is with the pump on setting 3. ideas? flow prob or water trapped behind lime scale?

Sponsored Links
that's what I was thinking, though the rads do get hot. he changed my pump because he said mine had poor flow. he put in a secondhand grundfos alpha pro, which seems to be ok.

its almost as if the flow is restricted through the heat exchanger or maybe the burner pressure is too high?

I might turn off all the rads, as I don't want to loose all the inhibitor, drain down, take the drain out on the boiler then add x200 directly to the heat exchanger leave to soak, then refill and leave x200 in with another dose of x100. sound good?

If treating boiler you should close a valve on each rad and use boiler to heat hot water.

I don't know why you want to keep draining.

To give us information you need to tell us the flow and return temperatures at the boiler.

Needs a contact thermometer. IR types are not accurate enough to be very useful.

Tony

sorry its like an addiction :) . ive goto drain down some water to get the x200 into the flow from the header tank.

ok filled the heat exchanger with white vinegar for about 3-4 hours. then drained via the plug in the heat exchanger. result is same kettling.

some interesting observations though:

after turning on the boiler with the pump on full, after a minute or two the kettling started. so I touched the flow, just warm, touched the top third of the heat exchanger just warm, touched the bottom 10% of the heat exchanger, arrgh!!! bloody hot.

does this indicate a flow issue or boiler setup issue?

p.s. it took quite a while to get the heat upto the top of the heat exchanger.

I don't remember any nupty suggesting vinegar.

Its so mild that you can have it on fish and chips!

Tony

thought it was worth a punt.

do you think the problem is the heat exchanger, pump, or boiler setup/pressure.

If it is kettling then that problem is the boiler.

That link to a K Type thermometer is ideal. You can use tape or some clothes pegs to hold the TC onto the pipes. Or your hands with a pad of thick material.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back