Ideal Isar HE24 Code LE

Sponsored Links
I would guess that it will be power supply ripple that throws it into confusion rather than voltage. There's not much in the way of decoupling on the PCB.

I wouldn't have spotted that unplugable terminal block and would never have thought to disconnect the boiler had it not have been put on a plate for me. I was a little uncomfortable leaving it live overnight, but it's going like a little champ again today. I see another bath on the horizon!

I think I owe Ideal an apology, the fault appears to have been from the fitting rather than the manufacturer. Needless to say the phone number I have for him is just ringing out.

Still, all's well for the time being and I'm a happy camper.

Many thanks

John

I dont remember that exact model but most of the earlier Ideals had an industry standard potted RF filter on the mains input.

They will give superb protection from mains bourne interference. Of course they were probably fitted to protect the supply from interference generated by the boiler!

I had one fail once so they are also a failure point although thats very rare.

Tony

I've certainly been educated in my few days here, I will be hanging around I think.

I didn't get chance to grab a new switch today but it's on my to do list.

It is still working like a good un and I'm still grinning at the thought of not spending cash. I have a bad damp problem to sort out and that is going to cost a few bob. The road outside our house is flooded under the tarmac. If I open our water stopcock cover it is full of water to 4 inches below the level of the pavement. It' the same both sides of the street but they have listened to the main and say it's fine and the drains are ok. Needless to say this is playing havoc with my damp proof course. How to proof against that amount is a mystery and neither the council or the water providers are having anything to do with the problem.

I feel a post in the building forum is in order though now I've found this fine site.

John

Sponsored Links
If you lift your inspection cover(s) you should be able to eradicate the drains from the equation as the invert level is usually at least 900 mm.

Assuming thats the case then the obvious cause must be the water mains.

You could check to see how far along the road this problem exists and then that will give an indication of the likely centrepoint ( if its flat ).

I would suggest that a formal complaint to the water supplier might get a more interested check and then if nothing is done perhaps to Ofwat.

Unfortunately that senario is one where you are left high and dry with no one interested in your problem.

There is always a possibility that the problem is caused by a backed up storm drain. It always depends on the topography of the area.

The environment Agency seem to be responsible for surface water and they always seem to have time on their hands!

Tony

Sorry for using wrong terminology I meant current and frequency. The boiler won't work at all off a generator as it needs 50hz and if the current wave isn't smooth you can get intermittent E2 prom errors on the board LE faults.

This is the extent of the problem, the ball is just there to make the level clear.

[GALLERY=media, 11805][/GALLERY]

If it doesn't rain for a few days it drops by about 6 inches but returns on the next heavy rain.

The inspection covers have been covered in tarmac whenever the road was resurfaced last.

John

Is this a new problem or has it been the case for a long while?

Whats the geology and topography of the surounding area?

Tony

Hi Agile.

Sorry for the delay with the reply. We are on hideous sticky clay with very poor drainage. Oddly enough we are almost on top of a hill with the land sloping away from us on 3 sides.

I have been asking around a bit and have been told there is a stream somewhere hereabouts. When the Environmental Health bloke was here he said he had checked the maps and there were no known water courses, someone is wrong but who? I have also been told by one resident of the town that there is a giant alien that lives in a labyrynth under Wales that is going to boil the sea and kill us all, so you can't believe everything you are told in these parts!

I found the problem originally when we had some floorboards up to lay a network cable. The joists had drips of what I took to be condensation under them and one corner wall was very wet. [GALLERY=media, 11808][/GALLERY]

There were old french windows there when we bought the house. We had them bricked up and a window put in instead. We had extra air bricks added at the time so it's very well ventilated under there already.

John

PS The boiler is still behaving itself.

yes an LE code does require a new PCB but the fizzing/crackling is probably water leaked onto the fused spur of the boiler. It will be this that has caused the pcb to be blown.
This looks like classic b*llshit.

How do you think that interruption of power to the PCB, even if cyclic and rapid, would "blow" it?

yes an LE code does require a new PCB but the fizzing/crackling is probably water leaked onto the fused spur of the boiler. It will be this that has caused the pcb to be blown.
This looks like classic b*llshit.

How do you think that interruption of power to the PCB, even if cyclic and rapid, would "blow" it?

indeed, even when that smoothing filter before the pcb blows and goes all horrible and crackly giving out the wrong voltage the pcb usually survives.

snb has shown himself to be a guesser on several posts recently.

Any sentence containing "will be" is guaranteed to be a guess - it's like shooting fish in a barrel. :)

Any sentence containing "will be" is guaranteed to be a guess - it's like shooting fish in a barrel. :)

nothing wrong with taking a guess as long as its an educated one and you make sure everyone knows its only a guess and to proceed with caution.

I respectfully disagree - the energy is always better spent on gaining or applying knowledge.

I respectfully disagree - the energy is always better spent on gaining or applying knowledge.

er yes i agree in principal but at some point in this wonderful business the time spent gaining or applying knowledge comes to an end and guess will have to be made if you want to proceed, mostly when you dont have the equipment to investigate any further.

a balls out guess is rarely worth it, an educated and careful guess usually works out ok for me on the occasions im forced to make one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back