Ideal Isar. No heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I have an Ideal Isar m30100 which I inherited when I bought my flat. The hot water has been working fine all through the summer months, but when I tried the central heating the other day the boiler failed to respond in any way. I have had the diverter off, it seemed tight but got it moving reasonably freely with a bit WD40. When the boiler goes through its start up sequence the acctuator seems to be moving fine. But still when I select central heating the boiler does not respond and the display stays on 0.

Anyone have any ideas? have a spare diverter and acctuator, worth giving them a go, or am I barking up the wrong tree? It seems strange that the boiler isn't even trying when I select CH.

Cheers

Richard.

Sponsored Links
I would say the microswitch in the DV head has broken.

Remove the bottom panel on the Isar and pull out the connector plug. With a call for heat from your programmer/stat, there should be 2 240V lives present on the plug. L3 and either L1 or L2. Can't remember which one right now

Hello Dave.

Had the multimeter out. I'm getting a 240v signal from L1 at all times. when I call for CH L1 remains the only contact with a 240 signal, the rest are reading zero.

Could this be a fault with the external drayton timer?

Have tried swapping the DV head, but to no avail.

I cant remember the order of the connections either but as you hold the black plug in your hand (with the pins pointing upwards):

Left = permanent live
Neutral
Earth
In
Out

So if you isolate power to the boiler remove the 'in' and 'out' cables (and make them safe) and link this with a short piece of wire.

This basically overrides all the external controls, so the boiler should fire straight away (if the timer/roomstat is at fault)

Sponsored Links
Its the timer, thank goodness. connected my switching wire from the boiler with the switching wire from the room stat. can now control the CH on/off from the room stat.

Thanks for the help and advice fellas.

Richard.

glad to hear you have sorted it as don't expect any sort of good service from ideal! they are W......... of the highest order with a sh..e boiler range and worthless guarantees!

Was about to say if no C in display it will be external to boiler. Easiest way to check this in future for anyone is putting the L1,L2 link back into 5 pin plug thus taking external controls out of the equation.

Oh and look Kev not the boiler again!!!! ;) ;)

glad to hear you have sorted it as don't expect any sort of good service from ideal! they are W......... of the highest order with a sh..e boiler range and worthless guarantees!

You really have a chip on yer shoulder dont you!!
It wisnae the boiler! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

berlusconi-wipe_1408421i.jpg

had me wondering there :LOL:

I too do not like Ideal boilers and think they are rubbish, but many times faults are blamed on them that are from an outside influence.

Lets save our rubbishing them to genuine boiler faults and keep it all in perspective ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back