Ideas for lining my 1930's loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right I have had a search around the internet and its lead me here, the only posts I can find stretch back to about 2006 and I couldnt find any definite answers so here's hoping someone can help.

The house was built in the 1930's so there is no lining of any kind in the roof space (loft) this means all the plaster I think it is that helps hold the roof slates in place creates a lot of dust that covers anything stored up there, I want to make this a useable space but stop everything getting covered in this dust.

so what can people suggest as a lining for the rafters to stop the dust covering everything? once this is up I can then look at re-doing the insulation and boarding out the floorspace.

if needed I can up some photos to give a better idea.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
i have the same trouble as you :D i am in the process of clearing out my loft space.most of the cement under the slates is loose so i am going to remove any loose cement and have a few slates repaired ,it gets messy up there after bad weather.i dont think you can cover the roof underneath you have to keep it ventilated.
i am reinsulating and boarding out my loftpace as well.good luck with your work

I have this problem too - would be really grateful for any ideas.

I did think about boarding the underside of the roof (like you would if you were converting it) - any problems with this?

I also have a 1930s unlined loft.. and leave it that way.. mainly because it is the existing rafters and i want to maximise the amount of ventilation up there to avoid having to replace the whole lot when the rafters get damp and rot.. yes this makes storage a double bin linner job but thats not much hastle..

That said if you really wish to line the loft rafters, then you need to do this with a breathable material that will show you where a leak has occcured and not allow water to pool around the rafters.. Which rules out non permiable membranes..
So things i've seen recommended are builders paper and perforated cork boarding..

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, don't really want to leave it as it is, as I am planning to rent the property out.

I also find that whenever I open the loft hatch I end up with largish chunks falling down, which results in an extremely filthy carpet so I really do need to do something about it!!

Your post gives me options, which is good as I am on a tight budget.

Out of interest, does anyone know what the bits that are falling down are - and should I be repainting/patching the underside of the tiles before I do any work to cover them? I vaguely recall a roofer telling me what the product was a few years ago, and am now wishing I had paid a bit more attention!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back