Identidying the purpose of these bricks?

Sponsored Links
Yes, thanks for your help Paul and to everyone else too. I will dig down tomorrow evening and see what I discover.

Bear in mind that it might take quite a while even after you expose these bricks, for the wall to dry out

Sponsored Links
I investigated a bit more this evening. I removed the floorboards to reveal the suspended floor and what I found was the edging if this brick. Although its more like a tile as it is about 6 inches into the floor space which means the whole tile is about 15inches wide by 1 inch deep as a rough guess. Using a metal piece of wire I was able to thread through from the inside through one of the holes and the wire wound push out on the outside. However 90% of the holes are blocked with chalk and mud. Looking at this now do you think they are a type of drainage tile or just a course of additional air bricks. Most of which are blocked.

I think Woody has shown us what they are and I remember seeing a much later variation on the principle - Doulton Wallguard - ceramic tubes ;)

Ok, thanks for all the help. I will try to expose these bricks round the back of the house externally as well as under the sub floor clearing as many holes of muck and chalk as I can.

Round the front however this course of bricks is much lower. I don't think they are flush externally at the front of the house. I think they jut out about 6 inches because I did dig down and I could feel the top of it. Ill do what I said I was going to do at the back of the house and at the front ill dig down further to expose and report back with my findings.

Many thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back