Identifying asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Hope posting to the right forum. Hope you can help.

In 2010 had bathroom ripped out and re done at property. Was away when builder was doing it.

Bathroom was 1950 original I think , al green tiled. Huge 1950 bathtub etc.

I am worried now however as have read that some bath panels can contain asbestos. I couldn't see if this could as was tiled over? Would it likely have been or more like ply wood or somethings? Builder said ply at time I think! But can't be sure .

So my question, is it worth getting the house air tested and getting someone in? Bearing in mind his was 2010. Is there any point in testing air now? Would it not give any sort of reading?

Basically don't want to get ripped off and do something I don't need to do and stop worrying about this

Any advice appreciated .
Thanks
P

Sponsored Links
It was almost certainly NOT asbestos, but it's too late now anyway. Stop worrying.

Last edited:
It was almost certainly NOT asbestos, but it's too late now anyway. Stop worrying.
Its unlikely that it was made of asbestos, its unlikely that the builder turned the back panel into dust (as its an access panel it would have been easy to remove) and the majority of any dust that may have been released will have been hoovered up by now.

Stop worrying.

Asbestos bath panels are plain and hard boards. No design or patterns, and have a definitive ring when knocked with your foot or knee as oppsed to adull thud sound from timber ply .

Even so, they are cement based with low fiber content. Any minimal fibres that might get released from breakage float around in the air and will be long gone within weeks - to be replaced with the fibres that are found naturally in the air from all the years of abestos producton and use.

You can relax in the bath

Sponsored Links
Any minimal fibres that might get released from breakage float around in the air and will be long gone within weeks - to be replaced with the fibres that are found naturally in the air from all the years of asbestos production and use.

Eeh, you're a comforting soul...

Just on the odd occasion you might find one in an old local authority property, but mostly they are ply or hardboard.(y)
Most builders would use ply or hardboard anyway 'cos it's stocked at at builders or timber merchant, lighter to carry, and a darn site easier than cutting asbestos sheet to size!:LOL:
Really don't think you need to worry about it now.;)

Thanks guys. That is reassuring to hear your views.
So it wouldn't be a case of tiling had been tiled to a peice of AIB ? It would had been wood type? I usually wouldn't worry, but as the panel was totally tiled I couldn't see what the backing was, I think it 1950s as was all green tiled and had the Bath and sink type.

Also, getting an air test would be pointless now? As would have cleared? I am worried about getting these done as may get coned/ripped off.

Thanks,

So it wouldn't be a case of tiling had been tiled to a peice of AIB

You are getting confused

There are several types of asbestos product. There is cement sheet, which has low fibre content of the least dangerous type, and is what bath panels would be made of, and then there is AIB which is a much more potentially harmful product but would not be used for bath panels.

Either way, asbestos materials are perfectly safe if left alone. They are only potentially dangerous when worked on, broken, sanded, etc.

You'll get more harm from shampoo in your eyes than a tiled asbestos bath panel.

I would think an air test would be totally pointless after all this time, unless you suspected there was another source of contamination in the house of course.
Also the only bath panels I have ever seen were made of AC, the thin brittle stuff.
Think about it there is no need for fireproofing around a bath the only reason to use it is it's water resistance, as said unless some local authority architect specified it no builder would think of using it as it is a right pain to work with.
I know, I've sawn it drilled it scored and snapped it and even filed it to make gaskets fit, given the choice even before the danger was commonly known, I would only use it if no other material would do.

I would think an air test would be totally pointless after all this time, unless you suspected there was another source of contamination in the house of course.
Also the only bath panels I have ever seen were made of AC, the thin brittle stuff.
Think about it there is no need for fireproofing around a bath the only reason to use it is it's water resistance, as said unless some local authority architect specified it no builder would think of using it as it is a right pain to work with.
I know, I've sawn it drilled it scored and snapped it and even filed it to make gaskets fit, given the choice even before the danger was commonly known, I would only use it if no other material would do.

No, there is no further asbestos issues in the house. It's a case I am worrying about what 'could' have been there and not removed properly hence thinking an air test would be the only way to tell?! Or again totally pointless after all this time ?! Would it prove nothing?! Thanks for al suggestions and guidence

An air test would show nothing. There are millions of tons of asbestos cement board in houses and buildings all over the place and it's perfectly harmless unless you grind it or cut it with a power saw or something equally stupid. Sitting quietly behind a bath panel it's perfectly safe.

An air test would show nothing. There are millions of tons of asbestos cement board in houses and buildings all over the place and it's perfectly harmless unless you grind it or cut it with a power saw or something equally stupid. Sitting quietly behind a bath panel it's perfectly safe.

The panel whatever it was (likely wood) was removed in 2010. My point is as this is 1950s property would it be worth getting air tested to check asbestos fiber levels from anything that may have been removed once? If any was. Or am I being paranoid?

Would an air test show me the air is fine? Or would I be wasting my money from any asbestos that was , if , was previously there?

When calculating heat requirements for a domestic house you calculate on the basis of 1½ to 2 air changes per hour. 24 hours a day x 365 days x 5 years or so that's around 65700 to 87600 full air changes. Na! Don't worry.;)

You are definitely being paranoid. I'm not saying sprinkle it on your cornflakes but the type of asbestos you are talking about is basically harmless. Even the HSE agree - they now treat it like any construction dust and fibre - and they're even more paranoid than you. I think you are mistaking it for other types of asbestos that are really nasty - pipe insulation and soft fibrous types. The stuff you are talking about is a different type of fibre and not the same at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back