Idiot light to know when switch is on, other side of a door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am planning a strip light in a storage space which will have a hatch from the main living area. I want to put the switch on the same side as the light ie not in the main living area. What I'd like to do is have a light come on which indicates the light/switch is on as it would be easy to forget if you can't see it. Something like the neon light in a single gang switch (but without the switch) that could be piggybacked from the main switch and be on the main living area side as an indicator.

I could use a PIR or timer but prefer an indicator and switch.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If the hatch has to be open when someone is in or using the store then a switch that is operated when the hatch is open would be the simplest way.

Hatch shut. no light on.

Sponsored Links
Only any good if you have a "neutral" at what you call the "main switch"
Bear in mind a BLACK cable at a switch is not always a neutral

Yes although it sounds like he is wiring it in from scratch.

If your going to have a plate with a neon , why not just have the switch there too ?

Since it's Friday evening .... if you wanted to think totally laterally, and non-electrically, how about an optical fibre bundle (maybe a quarter of an inch or so in diameter) protruding just though a hole in the wall (or maybe in the surround of the hatch), transmitting light from within the illuminated storage space?

Kind Regards, John

I was gonna say that ( inspired by sureits off's post) but thought it was a bit OTT

I have 100meters of 2mm stuff in the garage, maybe one day i will find a use

Looks good, but when I cut mine its like glass.
Not something youd want to tread on with bare feet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back