IKEA beech worktop split - Guaranteed?

You usually see that sort of issue under an electric jug/kettle. Just fill it with a decent filler and forget it. You have to ask yourself, "Would this sort of damage happen if the worktop were sitting in the warehouse?" I doubt it.

Sponsored Links
The crack occurs because of shrinkage.

Not sure why you think moisture from a washing machine would be significant, and would cause shrinkage.

Plenty of chipboard core tops, unsealed, above washing machines that are fine.

It's the heat I suspect. If that's what has caused it of course.
There's something here about installing foil underneath.
http://worktops.org/wood-worktops/technical-specifications/[/QUOTE]

A thin sheet of metal will not prevent heat gain, common misunderstanding. Foil can reflect 90% of radiant heat, but radiant heat will be a tiny portion of heat gain.

And washing machines are found in kitchens, same as ovens, not like the manufacturer can say 'well I didn't expect the wood to be exposed to this'.

Hi Guys

I thought i'd update this. I've now had the report back and it looks like the worktop wasn't installed correctly. You can see the details below.

Is it worth retrospectively getting the brackets changed so they are the right way round? To the untrained eye it looks like the rest of the worktop is ok and if it was going to split it would have done by now as it was installed June 2013. So perhaps just leave it be and fill in the splits with wood filler.

Reported Problem
Customer complained that the block wood worktop is splitting in two places

Why Liability
Brackets fitting the worktop to the units have been put on the wrong way round and no gaps have been allowed for the worktop to move

Action Taken
Found no extractor unit fitted. Brackets holding the worktop to the units put on the wrong way and no expansion gap against the wall. This is not a manufacture fault . Customer fitting issue.

Are the brackets installed incorrectly?

You said he didn't look, and the picture you provided is inconclusive.

He has probably assumed, and may be right, but be sure.

If it is so, then yes just re-fix the brackets correctly.

Sponsored Links
Are the brackets installed incorrectly?
You said he didn't look, and the picture you provided is inconclusive
Difficult to see, I agree, but the brackets appear to be wrong to my mind with only one vertical slot:

But the plates should look like this:

The slots should be against the material and only the front to rear slot should have a srew in it on the worktop side of the joint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back