Ikea kitchen planner

What a bunch of pussies, half of you expect a sensible answer in the GD section and the other half get scared in a busy shop. FFS!

Sponsored Links
Sketch it roughly with a pencil and paper.

Upload it on here, you'll get better advise than asking an ikea employee

I'm sure I will, ! but the purpose of the Ikea programme is that when you have entered all the various details, just one click, and it gives you a cost of everything in the layout.
Saves all that messing about, re handles plinths appliances etc etc.

Sponsored Links
, and it gives you a cost of everything in the layout. Saves all that messing about, re handles plinths appliances etc etc.
But does it give the optimum selection of items ( and most cost effective solution ) or does it bias towards items that create the most profit for IKEA ?

How much extra are you prepared to "saving all that messing about" and why be restricted to what IKEA think is the best option.

In fact why be restricted to IKEA when there are far more cost effective suppliers.

, and it gives you a cost of everything in the layout. Saves all that messing about, re handles plinths appliances etc etc.
But does it give the optimum selection of items ( and most cost effective solution ) or does it bias towards items that create the most profit for IKEA ?

How much extra are you prepared to "saving all that messing about" and why be restricted to what IKEA think is the best option.

In fact why be restricted to IKEA when there are far more cost effective suppliers.

You decide what you want from a list of scores of various items, nothing to do with what Ikea thinks.
I am not prepared to pay any extra just because I am using Ikea's programme, nor am I restricted just to Ikea. The whole purpose of this exercise is to find out where I am going to get best value for my money.
Already checked out various other suppliers from over priced German to B&Q , etc.
For the record from what I have seen of the Ikea units after a visit to one of their stores, I think they are on a par with other makes which cost considerably more.

I'm sure I will, ! but the purpose of the Ikea programme is that when you have entered all the various details, just one click, and it gives you a cost of everything in the layout.

These stores all use programmes geared towards their range of kitchens. So it's near impossible to get like for like quotes because some will have components in there you can't pronounce based on their unique design. You will end up making more work for yourself comparing what one included versus the other. The simple cut and thrust of it is; tally up your base and wall units (which come with fixtures and fittings included for each unit, SHOULD INCLUDE HANDLES although I know B&Q annoyingly doesn't), work out your plinth (this is a simple metre measurement, same as cornice if you are having it), work out how much end decor panel you will need.

Make a tally and go in and give it to each of these bastards and they'll give you a price. The longest and most painful way is to approach each 'designer' individually because, from experience, desk jobbers will always find unworkable or overly engineered complex solutions to problems. I know this from experience having sat down with magnet, b&q, wickes kitchen 'designers', they will maximise the amount of components you need, some of which are totally uncessary. Not a problem if you've got money to throw at it, but I wanted to see where I spent my money, so I wanted the maximum amount of units and workable space with the least flummery.

If you post a plan I can offer some information on a good layout, I 'designed' two kitchens, one of which has a low level window which I wanted the kitchen sink centered in the middle of. What worked very well was cutting down a section of end decor panel to go in behind the units in front of the window to sit high enough above to allow the splashback to run along. It worked out well and looked nice. This would not work with a bay window though so perhaps you can post a plan to give an idea of size and location.

P.S You are better off researching the best possible price for individual appliances online, you very rarely get actual discounts buying kitchen appliances from shops with a kitchen show room. An extractor fan may be an exception to this though, as generally they're cheap enough

These stores all use programmes geared towards their range of kitchens. So it's near impossible to get like for like quotes because some will have components in there you can't pronounce based on their unique design. You will end up making more work for yourself comparing what one included versus the other. The simple cut and thrust of it is; tally up your base and wall units (which come with fixtures and fittings included for each unit, SHOULD INCLUDE HANDLES although I know B&Q annoyingly doesn't), work out your plinth (this is a simple metre measurement, same as cornice if you are having it), work out how much end decor panel you will need.

Make a tally and go in and give it to each of these bastards and they'll give you a price. The longest and most painful way is to approach each 'designer' individually because, from experience, desk jobbers will always find unworkable or overly engineered complex solutions to problems. I know this from experience having sat down with magnet, b&q, wickes kitchen 'designers', they will maximise the amount of components you need, some of which are totally uncessary. Not a problem if you've got money to throw at it, but I wanted to see where I spent my money, so I wanted the maximum amount of units and workable space with the least flummery.

If you post a plan I can offer some information on a good layout, I 'designed' two kitchens, one of which has a low level window which I wanted the kitchen sink centered in the middle of. What worked very well was cutting down a section of end decor panel to go in behind the units in front of the window to sit high enough above to allow the splashback to run along. It worked out well and looked nice. This would not work with a bay window though so perhaps you can post a plan to give an idea of size and location.

P.S You are better off researching the best possible price for individual appliances online, you very rarely get actual discounts buying kitchen appliances from shops with a kitchen show room. An extractor fan may be an exception to this though, as generally they're cheap enough

Many thanks for your detailed response.
Whilst I appreciate your offer of help I should point out that I have designed and fitted several kitchens .
I am aware of the rip off merchants out there and all I was looking for on this forum was help in incorporating a bay window in the Ikea 3D planner.
PS Not sure what happened with my previous response.

Sponsored Links
Back