IKEA oven and Induction hob HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone help me with a little dilemma. I am looking at replacing my kitchen and switching from Gas to Electric. At the moment I have a Gas cooker which is hard wired into a cooker connection unit at the back of the cooker. Next to the CCU is a FCU (13A) above the worksuface is a cooker switch and 3 in socket. The circuit is protected with a 45A RCB.

My question is, if I connect an 8.2kw induction hob and a 3.2kw oven, what size cable should be used. I have worked out the diversity for the circuit and have got 26.9A (Could someone check that for me). Also could these simply be wired straight into the CCU?

Hope this all makes sense, my knowledge of Electric's is only basic and is based on what I have read in books. I have also heard that diverstiy calculations can not be applied to induction hobs, again can someone confirm this.

Thanks for your time guys

Karl

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure why you want to switch from gas to electric but each to his own.

On the basis that the cooker circuit is run in 10mm² cable with a 45A MCB,
I expect that you could direct wire the induction hob and the oven to the cooker connection point. Do the MI's mention fuse sizing for the oven?

You'll need cable from the hob that complies with IKEA's instructions - unless the hob comes with a lead already connected.

Sponsored Links
Yes
&
Yes
Ban, if you have something to say why dont you....You dont usually hold back

What type of fast-response electric hob works well with all types of cookware, i.e. made of any material, and in any shape? Like glass, or a wok, for example.

How resilient is the surface to being scratched by rough cookware? What happens to it if the user wants to slide a pan back and forth to shake the contents?

What happens to it if the user spills something sugary on it and doesn't notice?

What happens if a heavy item is accidentally dropped on it?

No system is perfect and using a Wok or glass pans on an induction hob is clearly not possible in real terms. Yes I know there are woks with iron base but so heavy unusable.

Also some induction hobs have silly touch controls so although they should react fast the touch controls mean they don't. However there are more sensible versions with knobs on.

Assuming one with knobs on then reaction time is same as gas. The speed one can turn a knob.

Heat up times are shorter than gas. Tested a 5.5kW gas comparing with 2.8kW kettle and kettle was far faster. With a 3kW induction kettle just by couple of seconds won. With 3.5kW induction it was faster then kettle. However to be fair other than boiling water using that much power just made stuff stick to pan but it does show how much more economic they are which means more heat into food and less heat into kitchen so less sweat drips into food.

The burning of electric does not produce the water released when burning gas so kitchen does not get filled with moisture so less need to run extractor fans which in turn draw warm air from rest of house making central heating work harder and causing drafts.

Safety electric wins hands down. No naked flames, Firm cook area so pans unlikely to be tipped, Auto shut down with over heat, left unattended, pan removed.

Although only had induction for two years used ceramic hobs for 30 years and I know which I find easiest to clean.

The oven again has more control than gas. It is now more like the days of solid fuel where one could vary the way the temperature was distributed with the dampers. With electric a little easier just an 11 position switch. Top heat, bottom heat, fan heat, standard grill, fan grill and I have not considered the steam oven options. Oh and yes a temperature not energy control.

Lets face it if someone invented gas cooking today it would not pass the health and safety rules.

Speed yes sticking ones head in a gas oven will kill you quicker than with an electric oven.

As to power requirement this is I will admit hard to work out. Since it is rare to use the boost function on an induction hob although the rating is high in real terms they now use less than the old electric hobs with then turning off when pan is removed and not heating the kitchen just the pan. So although 10.466kW - 12.455kW rated (220v - 240v) the manufacturer (Belling) recommends a protective device of 32A. This may vary with other manufactures some induction hobs can be configured for a series of supply amps so it is really down to reading the manufacturers manual.

With I think 5 elements in my two ovens they could clearly take well over 13A as to if the manufacturer has incorporated any interlocking switching to limit how much can be drawn will depend on manufacturer. Because mine is not split level where the hob is not used 32A is available to the oven so on main oven top, bottom and back(fan) can be run together clearly not for long as it does not take long to heat. But with many split level ovens either British 13A or rest of Europe 16A standard supply limits the oven switching arrangements often with timed switching between elements. Again only option read the manufacturers recommendations.

So yes the induction hob does have some draw backs. It seems although they comply with EMC rules some pacemakers don't, so not a good idea to use when you have a pacemaker. But the demo with the £5 note under the pan when boiling water with damaging the note is impressive. Yes if you stumble and put your hand in the hob it can still burn but not as much as the old hobs. And I find the auto boil then turn down to simmer great.

So sorry can't really help with supply details but don't listen to old fuddy duddies who still live in the age of gas lamps. Induction cookers are great. But don't go for touch control, get one with knobs, touch control takes too long to work and whole idea is turning off heat is as quick as lifting pan and much safer so anything which slows the process of turning off heat is flawed.

I agree with Eric.

My purchase of a Neff induction hob was a reluctant one as I ( being an ancient one ) did not like newe fangled ideas. I have to say I was wrong. Induction hobs are brilliant and far better than gas.

In the old house it was two gas and two ceramic electric and the gas were the normal ones to use. Now in the cottage the gas is used far less than the induction hobs.

Neff Domino range are good but a bit expensive. My purchase was influenced by them being ex-display ( never used ) and with a good discount on the price otherwise I doubt I would have bought induction.

No system is perfect and using a Wok or glass pans on an induction hob is clearly not possible in real terms.
Diyisfun says it is.

Yes I know there are woks with iron base but so heavy unusable.
Diyisfun says they are just fine - nothing wrong with them at all.

Also some induction hobs have silly touch controls so although they should react fast the touch controls mean they don't. However there are more sensible versions with knobs on.
Induction hobs are not the sole province of idiot designers. The idiots have visited their idiocy on hobs of all types. I don't regard idiot controls as intrinsic to induction.

Assuming one with knobs on then reaction time is same as gas. The speed one can turn a knob.
I don't dispute that.

Although only had induction for two years used ceramic hobs for 30 years and I know which I find easiest to clean.
I know how stove enamelled iron pan supports perform, and I was not asking a rhetorical question about the 20 year life of a glass ceramic induction hob.

Or halogen.

Or whatever technology it is which Diyisfun will put forward as being suitable for cookware of all materials and shapes.

Because he said there is one.

The oven again has more control than gas. It is now more like the days of solid fuel where one could vary the way the temperature was distributed with the dampers. With electric a little easier just an 11 position switch. Top heat, bottom heat, fan heat, standard grill, fan grill and I have not considered the steam oven options. Oh and yes a temperature not energy control.
Absolutely, electric wins hands down for ovens.

Lets face it if someone invented gas cooking today it would not pass the health and safety rules.
Nor would salt be allowed as a food additive.

And if there had never been motor racing on the streets of Monaco, and they went to Bernie and said "we'll host an F1 race around our streets" he'd laugh in their faces. Funny how popular it is though.

So sorry can't really help with supply details but don't listen to old fuddy duddies who still live in the age of gas lamps. Induction cookers are great.
I'm not denying that they have many redeeming features.

But those features do come at the price of cookware restrictions, and of real-world resilience. If you've got a heavy 30cm saute pan, which even when empty is hard to lift one handed, and you've got one with hot stuff in which you want to shake, you want to be able to slide it back and forth. Do that for decades and I doubt your glass ceramic induction hob will thank you for it.

Do you ever NOT have the last word?
Your use of 'quotes' is excessive & not only in this post.

But those features do come at the price of cookware restrictions, and of real-world resilience. If you've got a heavy 30cm saute pan, which even when empty is hard to lift one handed, and you've got one with hot stuff in which you want to shake, you want to be able to slide it back and forth. Do that for decades and I doubt your glass ceramic induction hob will thank you for it.
This discussion has been had here many times before, but to reiterate the answer:

With an induction hob you simply place a sheet of kitchen tissue between the pan and the hob. It is then easier to slide, shake and spin than on iron pan supports, with the added advtange that any spillage is automatically wiped up.

I always cook with a sheet of kitchen tissue between my pans and the hob and rarely have to clean it as a result. If there is any major spillage you can wipe it up while you are still cooking - try doing that with a gas hob and you'll catch on fire and burn your fingers. I have also dropped a heavy cast iron griddle on the glass top from about 30cm when the handle cover slipped off and there is barely a scuff where it hit, which is less noticable then a chip on an enamelled top. My trousers took more damage than the hob.

My current hob has been in daily use for four years now and the surface only has a few minor scratches and swirls. It may surprise you but I also have a few scratches in my stainless steel sink, and there is a small mark on my oak dining table where some lemon juice was spilt. My kitchen is to be cooked in, not a showroom.

Induction hobs are fine for 95% of what you can do with a gas hob no further extra changes. The advantages for me completely outweigh the small restrictions. You'd be surprised bas how well you would get on with a decent one. You can even use your glass wok - you just need to buy a cast iron base to put between it and the hob. I have a large 1cm thick slab griddle I use whenever I am heating a glass container or my fish steamer which is not steel. It instantly turns an induction hob into a ceramic one. For a wok a slab would not be as good as gas, (I don't use one, my saute pan does the job for me), but I'm sure you can get ones with rounded tops for that very purpose and if not any decent blacksmith could make you one in half an hour.

Do you ever NOT have the last word?
Your use of 'quotes' is excessive & not only in this post.
I consider it polite to make it clear to the person to whom I'm responding, and to others reading it, which parts of a post my responses apply to.

You clearly though don't even consider it polite to reply to questions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back