Illegal conversion and build

Would you like an illegal landlord converting a property next door or opposite to your house

An illegal landlord, is that some sort of immigrant?

looking like a dump

And this has what to do with planning or building regs?

and being rented out just like the beds in sheds?

HOW DARE PEOPLE RENT OUT THEIR PROPERTY!

Would just like a bit of advice but then maybe i'm in the wrong place.

Pretty much, if you want to determine how the houses owned by other people near you are used, buy them yourself.

Good riddance nimby....

Sponsored Links
I think everyone needs to calm down a bit, if the house looks like a ****pit then it seems reasonable for the OP to feel a little aggrieved.

But if the OP has just got sour grapes, he can close the door on the way out! :p

Thanks to the people who were of help.
As for the others, It isn't just me in my road that is not happy with what has been going on with this property. We've all seen the bodged work that has been carried out and that the tenants are living in a dangerous structure as there are certain criteria that has to be met for conversion, is there not?

Anyway, I'm gone now. You'll have to find someone else to insult.

Yes yes yes, I'm reeeeal sure your concerns are about the structural safety of the building and you are not at all being a busybody...............

Anyway, I'm gone now.

You said that already, I'm sure you are reading this.....you are the type that can't leave well enough alone.

Sponsored Links
The OP's original question was quite reasonable - he isn't being a busybody.

Quite simple, if someone doesn't take out a party wall agreement in a situation where he is supposed to, he is breaking the law and can be taken to court on the issue. This is important.

And as regards any work being carried out without planning consent, the council can take out enforcement action and potentially take the owner to court if he doesn't comply, as well. I would advise you to put all you know in writing and send a letter to the planning officers and your local councillors.

jvb

I'm not aware of any provision within the Act for court action in the event that the Act isn't enacted.

In the first instance, a (party) neighbour's only recourse is an injunction. This can be incredibly expensive, with no guarantee that the plaintiff will be awarded costs. And legal advice must be sought before proceeding down this route. That said, the merest threat of an injunction is often enough to focus minds on the provisions of the Act.

Subsequently, if a party was to proceed with works to a party wall without instigating the act, and if damage was to occur to the neighbour's property, precedent suggests that the courts will find in favour of the neighbour - even to the extent that the burden of proof will be on the defendant!

Whether or not the OP is a busybody or nimby and whether or not nimbyism is a good thing (I happen to think it is), none of what I've described above would make any difference to them - it's not their wall!

In the present situation, 10 months have slipped by with apparent inaction on the part of both the OP and the party neighbour, so I wonder if the courts could be bothered to intervene in this instance.

Quite simple, if someone doesn't take out a party wall agreement in a situation where he is supposed to, he is breaking the law and can be taken to court on the issue. This is important.

The PWA is not retrospective. Now that the work has been done, there's nothing the neighbour can do about it.

And it certainly is none of the OP's business at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back