Illegal to smoke in car with Kids

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Persoanally, I think this is long overdue.
However, "kids" in this conext are U18's. (according to the BBC news I have just seen)
So we have the odd situation that a 17 year old son can have a fag in mums car - but she can't until he gets out.!

Sponsored Links
The wording is that it is illegal for anyone to smoke in a car if there is anyone under the age of 18 in the car

gov.uk said:
Rules about smoking in private vehicles
Private vehicles must now be smokefree if they are enclosed, there is more than one person present and one of them is under 18.

So it is an offence:
for a person of any age to smoke in a private vehicle that is carrying someone who is under 18
for a driver (including a provisional driver) not to stop someone smoking in these circumstances

Does that mean that someone can smoke with the top down?

Sponsored Links
They raised the age for buying ciggies to 18, so a 17 year old shouldn't legally be able to but fags.

People who use cars ( as apposed to car drivers ) need to be dealt with.

Just seen a Range Rover ( or similar ) towing a trailer. Nut behind the wheel is drinking from a cup as he palms the steering wheel to turn out of a side turning into a busy road round a blind corner. People using mobile phones while getting round this hazardous corner are quite common. Still they go along this route every day so they know how to do it.

Rant over..........

In my opinion, this 'law' is about as enforceable as the one about using mobile phones when driving. I see it all the time, but unless one of those rare beasts - a policeperson - just happens to be passing nothing will be done.
If a mobile phone user causes an accident, and it can be proved that he was on his phone at the time, he can be prosecuted. It would be difficult to prove that a driver was smoking at the time of an accident, though. "I just put it out, guv, before I got in."

Saw a load of youths in a car full of smoke. All windows closed. My labourer said they are smoking skunk and 'hotboxing'.
Wonder if that is illegal.......:cool:

Sponsored Links
Back