ILLEGALY DISCONNECTED SHARED WASTE PIPE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help, I share a waste water pipe with the downstairs flat ,it goes from my kitchen and down through our hall wall and into their bathroom. I have lived here 9 years with no problems ,recently the newish neighbors have comlained of water coming up through their bath and not draining properly. on investigation this water seemed to smell like washer water so i offered to move my washer incase it was the problem. This didnt seem to be the case, anyhow the neighbors landlord has ignorantly just disconnected my waste pipe from his and blocked it off. this appears to be the only outlet practical for my kitchen sink waste as it runs under the house to the alley at the side of the building which is a busy public footpath .Can he do that ? ,i believe the blockage was not my fault, either way dynorod should have been called first ,but their crooked landlord doesnt comunicate ,he does what he pleases,iam at my wits end please help.yours faithfully ...geoff H

Sponsored Links
Phone your council and get the environmental health department on the game. Ignore them at your peril.

Sponsored Links
If as you say, the problem has only started since the new neighbours then the problem is likely to be their fault. An investigation which shows this can be used to back a claim for compo .

Although flooding their property seems like a good idea, we have not long had new flooring so don't really want the hassle. We have been in touch with the local council who passed us to environmental health, they passed us to Severn trent water who in turn told us its not their responsibility either as its private property. Pardon the pun but everyone seems to have washed their hands of the problem, leaving us washing up in the bath and unable to use the washing machine!

If EH won't help you and the landlord wont reinstate your waste then you may have to threaten legal action. Do you have house insurance? it may include legal cover. Phone them.

and have another go at environmental health. If they try sending you to the water co, explain the drain is within the house and ask why they think it is a water co prob.

Also say "sorry, what's you name again? (pause) and how do you spell your surname? (pause) And you're telling me that Environmental Health have no interest in this problem, are you? (pause) and it's now (time) on (date). I see. Anything else you can tell me?

And send a very short letter to head of environmental health telling him who told you what, and asking for his help. Letters are often more effective than phone calls.

Regardless of whose fault any bloackages may have been, no he can't do that.

I would say that he probably could if you had refused to pay your share of unblocking. As its shared you have to contribute to unblocking costs.

The EHO should help because he has interupted your drain.

Tony

Regardless of whose fault any bloackages may have been, no he can't do that.

I would say that he probably could if you had refused to pay your share of unblocking. As its shared you have to contribute to unblocking costs.

The EHO should help because he has interupted your drain.

Tony

We actually offered to get Dyno Rod or similar in to check for blockages, he ignored this and went ahead disconnecting our pipe anyway.
Also, does anyone know how many houses on our terrace street are likely to share this drain (we are end of terrace)?

I would have thought that lifting a drain cover would help. Then get your neighbour to turn a tap on. If the flow isn't equal then you have a partial blockage. Then you can rod it out or push a hose pipe up it.
Also, it would be a good idea if you worked together on this.

I would have thought that lifting a drain cover would help. Then get your neighbour to turn a tap on. If the flow isn't equal then you have a partial blockage. Then you can rod it out or push a hose pipe up it.
Also, it would be a good idea if you worked together on this.

Unfortunately working together is easier said than done, we have no contact details for him, only able to pass on messages through the tenants downstairs unless we see him coming or going (he owns several properties in the area).
I will try to get them downstairs to try that with us tomorrow.

If its the outside sewer giving the problem, and its a shared drain (i.e. more than one property uses it), then if the property was built prior to October 1937 it is the water authorities responsibility.

However if this is an internal waste pipe, I'd continue to hassle EH, they should have a 24hr emergency number. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back