I'm worried about the sand/compost mix I've used on my lawn.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a very uneven lawn and I was advised to make a 50/50 sharp sand and compost mix and then lay it in the dips in the lawn in small doses to slowly levle the lawn.

So I've done this, the old grass is coming through and I've also mixed in some new seeds for good measure.

The trouble is it looks quite sandy to me, and a different colour to the rest of the soil. The soil has no real cohesion so I'm wondering if it will stay in place, especially when I cut the lawn etc.

Should I worry about this? Or will it settle down? Or should I perhaps put more compost on top?

Hopefully, here's a picture:

Picture001.jpg

Cheers[/img]

Sponsored Links
the grass will bind it together

the old grass is already rooted to the soil below. Your new seed will not be anchored until it has grown quite a bit. Once the grass is dense you will not see the soil colour, but you can top-dress the whole lawn if it troubles you.

you are supposed to apply these things in thin layers and brush the grass about so it comes through, then apply another layer when the grass has settled in a month or so.

ok thankyou.

So, so far so good? I'll just leave it be for a few weeks then add another layer?

Doeas this mean I should avoid cutting the grass for a few weeks though?

Thanks for the reassurance.

:)

Sponsored Links
the newly-seeded grass you can cut with scissors or shears, as the mover will probably pull it out until it has put roots into the old soil beneath

the old grass will be OK with a mower

old grass sticks up through top-dressing if it is quite short, say an inch, otherwise it may lie down flat and get buried

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back