Immersion heater Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't used my Immersion heater for a fair while & only there for back up so I may not even use it, However :

I want to replace the "flex" from the switch to the Immersion heater in the Airing cupboard.
Is 2.5mm 3 core Heat resistant cable OK for this ? Is there any maximum length & can this rest on the circumference of the insulated hot water tank ?

There was lots a few months back about checking the thermo-stat operation on immersion heaters, I intend to turn mine down to the minimum setting & is a test OK to let it heat up & see how warm the tank gets (& pipes) and observe the LED on the consumer unit (to know when it has turned itself off ?).............also of course go up into the loft & ensure the cold water tank is infact "cold".

Thanks,

Paul

Sponsored Links
Is 2.5mm 3 core Heat resistant cable OK for this ?

Yes

Is there any maximum length & can this rest on the circumference of the insulated hot water tank ?

No max length if its 2.5mm and close to the isolation switch.
It is heat resistant cable so that it can rest on the tank!

[/quote]

Great thanks very much for the reply.......I'm protecting it with a 20A MCB.

Anyone got thoughts on :

There was lots a few months back about checking the thermo-stat operation on immersion heaters, I intend to turn mine down to the minimum setting & is a test OK to let it heat up & see how warm the tank gets (& pipes) and observe the LED on the consumer unit (to know when it has turned itself off ?).............also of course go up into the loft & ensure the cold water tank is infact "cold".

Or should I post in the plumbing bit although I don't like duplicate posting

Thanks,

Paul

If the thermostat is old and you have doubts about it (such as it not having an overheat cutout), just replace it with a new one. Less than £10 and 5 minutes to fit.

Sponsored Links
Anyone got thoughts on :

and observe the LED on the consumer unit (to know when it has turned itself off ?)
Yes. Consumer units dont have LEDs on them, and if they did, they wouldnt go off when an appliance turned itself off . . .

Anyone got thoughts on :

and observe the LED on the consumer unit (to know when it has turned itself off ?)
Yes. Consumer units dont have LEDs on them, and if they did, they wouldnt go off when an appliance turned itself off . . .

Yes sorry I meant the Electric metter & the rate of flashing is consitant with the current being taken.....hence with nothing on it doesn't flash or low current then it flashes with big time lapse betwen each flash...with the Immersion on it flashes in quick succession............so when it turns off it then goes back to a lower flashing rate..........hence I know when the immersion has turned itself off.

So after all that what about the theory ?

Should be a 16amp MCB and a 20amp double pole switch.

When I've actually come to do this I find the flex previously fitted is about 4mm 3 core !!!................why would this be...in what circumstances would 4mm be required ....it also looks like Butyl cable.

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back