Immersion heater or timer problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post. Please help. Dad was an electrician but didn't teach me all he knew! A few months ago old mechanical timer on immersion heater stopped working and burned the cable at the immersion terminal. I replaced timer with a LAP digital weekly immersion timer and replaced the heat resistant cable between timer and immersion. Worked fine until two days ago. Water stone cold. Have power to timer and readout says it is on when timer should be. Have continuity at the immersion heater. Have no power across N and L output side of timer when timer says it is on. Does this mean the timer is faulty or could it be the cable or immersion or immersion thermostat?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Almost certain to be a timer issue I think - if you're happy with your connections.
Can your timer handle 13 amps?
John :)

If you definitely have power to the input side of the timer and you are sure that the timer has been turned on and you have no power on the output terminal of the timer then it will be a faulty timer.

If it's any consolation the LAP timers are not known for their great build quality.

Jon

Specs say LAP Digital Weekly Immersion Timer 240V/13(2)A Screwfix Product Code: 96608. Not sure what the (2) in the 13A means but it should be up to the job, although reviews are very mixed. Can you recommend a better one? I've seen several people mention immersions might need a 16A timer. I connected like for like with the old timer that Dad fitted so should be fine. Timer power in:-Brown to L in, Blue to N in, earth to common E terminal. Power out:- Brown to SL out, Blue to N out, earth to common E. On immersion:- Brown to stat, Blue to N, earth to E. Not missing anything, am I?

Sponsored Links
Your connections are correct, of course.
Bearing in mind that a 3kW immersion heater draws the full 13 amps, maybe this timer is on the borderline of its reliability with nothing to spare so a 16 amp jobby would be better.
If Jon (aqua) reckons they aren't the best, then bear that in mind!
John :)

As before if you are sure that the timer is switched on and you are getting 240V at the input and not on the output terminal then the timer is screwed.

I won't fit LAP as it is so unreliable. If you want something reliable and 7 day then I would suggest this Grasslin and it switches at 16 Amp.

https://www.electrical2go.co.uk/7-day-immersion-general-purpose-timeswitch.html

You will probably pick it up a bit cheaper if you shop around.

You can't really go wrong with Grasslin quality.

Jon

Thanks guys. Will do that. Have hit the thanks button too. Its really nice to know there are some out there with more patience than my Dad had for teaching.

Have you checked the Immersion/Thermostat ??
Have you checked the reset Button of the thermostat ??

The poster said they had checked the output voltage from the time clock and it was 0v. So it will be the timer Plus it is LAP, so it did well to last 2 days!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back