Immersion heater problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My immersion heater is not working and the light on the switch is not coming on. I,ve checked the dedicated fuse in the fuse box and this is OK. I,ve removed the switch from the wall ,tested the terminals with a mains tester and there is no power getting to the switch.Any ideas on what the problem is?
Thanks in advance to all respondants. Roy

Sponsored Links
What tester did you use to test for voltage?

If there really is no power getting to the switch then there is a problem at the consumer unit or a problem with the cable run from the consumer unit to the switch.

Have you put any nails/screws in the floor/walls? If not then it might just be a loose terminal somewhere. Do you feel confident enough to open up the consumer unit and check for any loose connections? (remember to turn off the power first). Keep an eye out for any scorched/melted insulation, that would indicate poor connections or overloading.

Davy

Thanks Davy. No,not that confident with electrics so will call in an electrician.
I used a 'light-up'screwdriver type of mains tester so don,t know the voltage but certainly no power getting to switch.

gardeners26 said:
Thanks Davy. No,not that confident with electrics so will call in an electrician.
I used a 'light-up'screwdriver type of mains tester so don,t know the voltage but certainly no power getting to switch.

Neon screwdrivers will light up if you fart on them :LOL: ;)

(Don't rely on them for anything to do with electrics)

Sponsored Links
before paying out for a spark, use a voltage tester to see if they is any power,

never trust a screwdriver tester

OMG Neon screwdrivers are potentially lethal as you are completing the circuit to light the neon.

If you want test for voltage get yourself a digital voltmeter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back