Immersion Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having problems with my Economy 7 Immersion heater element. The element decided to pack up (RCD tripping) and therefore I fitted a new element. However the new element doesn't seem to work. When I switch on the Economy 7 plug the neon red light does not come on. I'm therefore struggling to understand whether this is a electrical or plumbing issue. The storage heaters in the house are still working and the Economy 7 section of the RCD does not trip.

If the red neon light should come on even if there is no appliance attached then it's something to do with the electrics, if it will only come on if an appliance is attached it's probably the element. Any ideas?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Did you look for the neon light during (7 hours of) the night ?

Have you used a multimeter to check correct power from the timer to the heater through the stat and safety device to the element?

It does not work in the 7 hours of night. FlyingFish you may need to 'dumb down' your post for me!

Sponsored Links
Immersion heaters work on 240ac across live (red/brown) and neutral(blue/black) this would need to be measured at the start of the operation which is your clock, and its ability to send that power to the heater. Once that is confirmed to be correct you can move to the heater itself. 240ac would need to be tested coming into the heater, thought the thermostat/safety device and then to the element itself. You need a multimeter to accomplish these tasks and an under standing on how to use one.

Could you post some photos of your fuse boxes, the element connections and the 'economy 7 plug'?

OP doesn't sound like you have much understanding of the subject. Might be wise to call an electrician. Prodding and poking at (invisible) electricity, with or without a meter could prove nasty!

Hi there. I have now tested the ac across the blue and brown wires with a multimeter and there is no current. I've attached photos of the wiring, economy 7 switch and economy 7 RCD. Any further thoughts would be appreciated.
IMG_1688-1.jpeg
IMG_1689.jpeg
IMG_1691.jpeg

Hi there. I have now tested the ac across the blue and brown wires with a multimeter and there is no current. I've attached photos of the wiring, economy 7 switch and economy 7 RCD. Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

You should be testing for VOLTAGE. Between the earth connection and each supply wire.

But you can do that with the element wired up.

It is somewhat dangerous with loose wires when turned on.

With nothing connected you can measure the resistance of the element and the continuity of the thermostat.

Tony

Your economy 7 supply will only be live at certain times of the day, location dependent, therefore you will have no voltage until these periods, no point testing until these times (some meters have the time on them). As Tony mentions though, you can test for continuity to see if there is any damage.

The circuit needs to be systematically tested from the element and thermostat back through to the CU but I wouldn't play around with it IIWY, and with respect it doesn't sound as if you have the experience to do this safely and could cause yourself serious injury.

OP doesn't sound like you have much understanding of the subject. Might be wise to call an electrician. Prodding and poking at (invisible) electricity, with or without a meter could prove nasty!

:rolleyes: Op: do you not understand?
English as well as Electrickery!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back